“Poor Showing Mates”

Stock and Barrel
Ranked #3 of 1,207 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We offer a relaxing and upbeat atmosphere for you to experience our version of "locally grown" gourmet, craft burgers. For the whiskey connoisseur, we have chosen a wide range of bourbon options to choose from. We offer them neat, on the rocks, or mixed with fresh ingredients to create our interpretation of traditional cocktails. For the beer drinker, we offer a wide selection of draft, craft beers to choose from along with multiple domestic beer options
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stock & Barrel came recommended to us for good burgers. Throw in a selection of Bourbon and we have a Sunday afternoon planned.
Located in Market Square, there are 2 doors separated by outdoor seating. Only one door leads to the innards of the Stock & Barrel. Choose the one on the right. There are no indications that you are or are not entering the establishment but you will see what I mean if you choose to go there.
The interior is long and narrow. The bar was empty but most of the tables were full. We waited while an empty table had to be cleaned off for us. The table for 2 was small. So small that there wasn't room for the bill and my plate to occupy the same space at the the same time. The table also rocked which I thought about fixing myself with my napkin but thought it was better used for other things. Our menus only included one drink menu so while my companion was making her choice I was left to wonder. Our waiter came for drink orders and when I said there is only one drink menu he said he would come back later. So I guess we're sharing.
After bringing our drinks he mentioned a couple of specials. Keep in mind that we had menu's for 10 minutes and had decided but we both opted for the specials. 2 key things. He didn't give us the price of the specials nor did he write the orders down. Mine came out wrong and both specials turned out to be more expensive than anything else on the menu. Not cool. 2 burgers, fries, a wine and a cocktail cost over $50.
The bar was empty, presumably because of the uninviting metal chairs. There is a random TV that was on high up on one of the long walls. The brick was nice. The wood floor was antique in a fake way. The Stock & Barrel needs a manager to take charge, fix simple things that never should be, and give the building an identity.

1  Thank Barista90

Reviewed May 14, 2014

The burger I had was delicious. The selection of food is nice, however, some things are overpriced. Also, if you order one of their specials for the day, ask how much it costs so you're not surprised when you buy a $16 burger. The inside is so small; you can hear everyone's conversations and get no privacy. I would eat outside.

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I give kudos for using local beef, bakery and other things. But im not a drinker so i felt that wasnt the place for me. I had a good burger and great onion rings but not worth the price. Also, get there early. Very small with few tables.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I had heard so much of this place that I thought I should check it out particularly given the hype about the bourbon selection and hamburgers. The hamburger was quite good but the old fashioned and manhatton from the bar were below average. Overall so - so experience.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I've eaten there three times (lunch, dinner, and a saturday afternoon) and I will say the selection of bourbons is impressive. The atmosphere is cozy, at best, so don't go expecting to be seated anytime soon, and there is no place inside to wait. And remember, you CANNOT wander around outside and drink.This is still Knoxville.
The servers seem to be poorly trained as are most of the servers on Market Square, so they can't help it, good servers are impossible to get downtown. Service was inattentive all three times. Yesterday, I asked for unsweetened tea at lunch and got sweet tea. Before I realized it was sweetened, I asked for sweetener, and all they had was sugar and three well worn packets of the pink stuff. The server said that was all they had. The tea came in a plastic cup and I was offered no refills.
The menu is exciting and the recipes are well thought out, but the execution is poor. The hamburgers seem to be precooked and dry two of the times I was there. The fries were fantastic one time and very soggy the other two times. Again, a sign of untrained or uncaring kitchen staff.
This place has great potential and is packed to the rafters from 5pm on, but if you are looking for a nice, quality dinner rather than a $12 hamburger to go with your drinks, you need to go somewhere else.
A hamburger, fries and tea in a plastic cup is $15. Drinks are above average priced for Knoxville, and if you are over 35, this is not the drinking hole for you. Its cramped, noisy and filled with college students.