“OK”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Knoxville, Tennessee
“OK”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

we went to a Halloween Party (it was private) but food came from restaurant kitchen, it food was OK. Inside not impressive.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Good dining with a spash of history”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This establishment has become an icon of the Knoxville dining experience. The local historians and preservationist have fought a hard battle to save this historic home, and the modernist have claimed their victory by having a gas station built in front of it.
It is still possible to sit out on the open patio and enjoy the evening. The upstairs bar is usually filed with locals, and the dining room is a welcomed mix of locals and travelers. On one occasion my wife and I were eating on the patio and were listening to the fabulous live entertainment when we were treated to a special presentation from another diner. I had commented on his red suit as he made his way through the tables earlier in the evening, and my wife commented on the well dresses woman that was accompanying him. We were both pleasantly shocked to find out that it was one of the Temptations, and he was there celebrating his birthday. He performed a couple of songs, and then graciously allowed people to have their pictures made with him. I was impressed that someone still had the generosity to share their special day with others.
The service is adequate, and the wait staff is younger so they are still learning their trade. I have noticed that in the U.S., waiters and waitresses use the occupation to pass through certain points in their lives, while in other countries they learn the trade as a true profession. You can tell the difference, but you also have to understand the reasoning.
One ‘trick” that I learned the hard way is to ask for regular water instead of the bottled water. It appears that for bottled water, they have a nice price attached to it. I was a little shocked to see that my wife and I had paid $14.00 for two bottles of water.
The food is nicely presented, although the portions are slightly on the small side. They have not missed it by much, but I would prefer to see a slightly larger portion for the price. The overall taste of the dishes is very pleasant, although it hinges on just a slight presence of being rushed through the kitchen. As with the wait staff, Knoxville is not renown for an over abundance of properly trained chefs, and those that are properly trained often have to carry much of the load since the other kitchen help may be less qualified.
Aside from the noise of the traffic, if you can concentrate on the music (call or check out their website for entertainment calendar) and enjoy a nice cocktail, you will have a pleasant experience. They also have a nice cigar lounge in which you can purchase a nice after dinner smoke. The price range, including a couple of drinks is approximately $80.00 without the tip or cigars.
In order to really appreciate your visit, you have to speak with the hostess downstairs and ask her to take you to the office where one of the original doors from the upstairs has been relocated. The hostess should be able to show you the bullet holes and tell you a small part about the history of the door. The house was owned by a very well known physician in Knoxville, Dr. James Baker, during the Civil War. Locally, it is often accepted that he tried to maintain neutrality in the war, the fact that his son fought with the Confederacy leads many to think that he was sympathetic to their cause.
The significance of the door is that Union soldiers stormed the house as Dr. Baker was giving care to wounded Confederate soldiers. The door had been barricaded and the Union soldiers resolved to fire through it, and in doing so killed Dr. Baker. His son later revenged his father’s death and was then also killed in retaliation.
This has also led to some people reporting strange paranormal activities within the house, although my only fright was in the cost of bottled water.
I do recommend that if you are in the Knoxville area, you make accommodations to visit.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank johnnydurango
Corbin, Kentucky, United States
“Nice evening of music and great food”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had a really nice evening listening to live music. Our server was very helpful and fun. The food was really good. The garlic mashed potatoes are a must have.

• Visited July 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
“Definitely a Price Tag for Celebration but Worth it!”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I had been to Baker-Peter's a few time with co-workers for girl's night out cocktails which are always fantastic, but my husband and I finally went and ate there to celebrate graduating college. We started with the smoked salmon bruschetta which was heaven, and then my husband ordered the rack of lamb and I got the seafood risotto. It was, hands down, one of my favorite meals I've ever experienced. With drinks it topped us out at over $100, but for the occasion and for the experience it was worth it.

Visited December 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
“Not for me, but it depends On what you're looking for”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Jazz club. Smokey, even in the dining areas. Don't believe pricing quotes of $15-20. A steak will set you back $35-50. Even the cheapest chicken dish is $25.
Kind of a neat atmosphere, old house with a lot of history.
Too pricey for what you get. I didn't like the at all. But great service.