“Best Greek Salad in Knoxville... PERIOD!”

Colonel's Delicatessen
Ranked #125 of 1,212 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've been there only twice so far and the first time was for breakfast. It was then that I spied the Greek Salad on the menu and thought I needed to come back. I returned with my wife and I ordered the large Greek Salad with Chicken. it was to die for. It was also so massive that it was tough for me to finish it but I made it to the happy plate. It has the usual ingredients like olives, feta, olive oil, lettuce, sweet onions, but then there is the dressing which is home-made right there on the spot. I actually bought some to take home but I had to pinky promise not to take it to a lab so that it could be analyzed. Garlic is in there for sure in tiny chunks that help the party start in your mouth after one bite. It is true and authentic Greek fare and the chicken on the salad was as good as the salad itself. Colonels is not for the feint of heart as you will melt glass breathing too close after you consume one of these feasts. So my advice is to kiss your sweetie BEFORE you eat there and then head to Colonels for some fantastic non-bland food.

1  Thank Pmrphoto

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Absolutely outstanding food. Though they have other foods (Philly cheesesteak, burgers, etc), the draw -- mostly locals!! -- is the Greek food which is oh-so-very-good. Gyro and spanakopita ... just soooo good!!! Tiny place but great service. Friendly servers and ... did I mention great food?!!!!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I wanted a Chicken Parm Sub, thought they made one. But it isn't on the menu. They made it anyway and it was delicious.
I like to eat at out of the way places and this will be a regular on my list. Everyone in our party had great food and want to return.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I judge a restaurant by its reuben sandwich. This one was disgusting. The corned beef was thick and tough, nothing lean about it, and it wasn't even sliced. Just put on in chunks that kept falling off the sandwich. Some people I sat with had omelettes and said they were very good, the portion size was good, so if I go back I will try something else. It's not exceptionally clean inside, the tables and booths are old, and the decor sucks. They just throw various things on the walls and it looks like crap.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have driven past this place hundreds of times and never stopped. I wish now I would have stopped in before. I was pulling out of Earthfare and hungry for a substantial breakfast. I thought I would give Colonel's a try. It is not a deli, but just a small old time diner. It isn't much to look at, but the food is wonderful and inexpensive. I had a breakfast sandwich called the "Frenchy" along with the fried potatoes with capers. The sandwich was made with French toast, ham, and cheese with a side of maple syrup. It was out of this world good. The service was excellent even though she was taking care of several tables. Skip the drive thru chain joints and give this local place a try. I can't wait to try the lunch specials.