“Hidden gem in Bearden”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have driven past this place hundreds of times and never stopped. I wish now I would have stopped in before. I was pulling out of Earthfare and hungry for a substantial breakfast. I thought I would give Colonel's a try. It is not a deli, but just a small old time diner. It isn't much to look at, but the food is wonderful and inexpensive. I had a breakfast sandwich called the "Frenchy" along with the fried potatoes with capers. The sandwich was made with French toast, ham, and cheese with a side of maple syrup. It was out of this world good. The service was excellent even though she was taking care of several tables. Skip the drive thru chain joints and give this local place a try. I can't wait to try the lunch specials.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Had Greek platter and it was wonderful. Fried pita bread was warm and crunchy - I could have eaten a plate full. Nice stuffed grape leaves and Greek salad, and potatoes fried with olive oil and capers was really good. Hubby likes 'American" food, so he was happy with other choices. They also had a nice breakfast menu - different. Great place to relax and feel confortable, and enjoy good food for little cost !

Reviewed September 24, 2011

This neighborhood Mom-and-Pop-style diner is perfect for anyone looking for hearty, unpretentious home cooking at reasonable prices in a friendly atmosphere. While the proprietor is Greek-American and many menu items are recognizably Greek, it would not be accurate to describe Colonel's Delicatessen as a Greek restaurant. It's 100-per-cent down-home American, and that's how it has survived well into its third decade. This is the type of cafe where America used to eat before the advent of fast-food chains. It's reassuring to know that such places still exist. It's a great place to sit back, read the paper, and chow down.

1  Thank Eustorgio
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I LOVED this place when I was in college. Judging from the other reviews, the staff may have change a bit, but their roast beef (with a couple of spring rolls) was a weekly item on my menu.
You'd never guess it from the outside, but I ranted and raved for weeks to anyone who would listen after my first visit. Writing this is killing me... I'll be eating some Colonel's next time I'm in Knox.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

First of all I never write on these things but I really want this place to make it! I drive past this place every day and never stopped in until my friends and I drove all around town on a Sunday for breakfast. I am so glad we stopped in because it was exactly what we wanted. Basic greasy spoon dishes, omelets, grits, home fries , the usual. They also have unique lunch and dinner sandwiches, wraps and meals. It was fast is was great and the atmosphere was the perfect neighborhood feel. Check this place out!

1  Thank ahallmarkwife