“Great place”

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
“Great place”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

This is one of my new favorite places .staff is very friendly food is wonderful .you get a lot of food for the money.the waitress took time showing my 7 year old nephew how to use chop sticks .

Philadelphia, Tennessee
“Great food, good value”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Very excited to try this pretty new place, we raced there for dinner after a Saturday afternoon movie. Arriving at about 7:00 p.m., we found the place packed. Clearly we are not the only people around who really love good hibachi and sushi!

Dear Hubby ordered the shrimp entree (hibachi style shrimp, vegetables, and fried rice) and a kani roll. (That's a sushi roll with crab "stick." He liked it a lot.) I ordered the gyoza dumplings for an appetizer and the beef & shrimp entree. Dear Son ordered the beef entree.

The food is HUGE and delicious and oh, so affordable!!!

The service is fast and friendly. Really can't say enough about how nice these servers are! And the restaurant itself is impeccably clean and well-kept. Kudos to the staff and management!

But the atmosphere, especially on a crowded weekend night, is quite unpleasant. I highly recommend going during the off hours -- mid-afternoon on a Tuesday, perhaps? It's very noisy and crowded when the restaurant is packed with impatient children, and the wonderful wait staff spent so much energy trying to keep up. It was exhausting.

If you absolutely must get this delicious food during a regular dinner hour, maybe you could get it to go. Otherwise, be prepared to hear everyone else's conversations in between shouting to your own companions.

• Visited May 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Tasty hibachi and sushi for an excellent value”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This Japanese grill is a little hidden in a strip mall on Hardin Valley even though the address is Spring Bluff Way. The skinny: 1.Food: excellent 2. Value: excellent 3. Service: Friendly 4. Atmosphere: Average with limited seating, but very clean.

This restaurant is a real winner in our book especially with Kanpai of Tokyo now closed. It is not a buffet like many are. The menu though offers many hibachi choices and combinations along with appetizers, noodles, Katsu and a children's menu as well. They also have beer in case you are wondering. We have tried almost everything there except for tofu and have not sampled all of the sushi yet. Although I am a seafood lover, I have to say that my favorite is the beef and shrimp. The flavor combo is so good and the beef is tender. Each entree comes with a salad too. I really like the fact that they place your meat, rice, veggies and noodles all separately on your plate. That way you can mix it up or pick stuff out easily that you do not like. I like all of it though, especially the noodles that come with your rice choice.

The sushi is really excellent too in my opinion and very reasonably priced. My husband and I usually share a roll as an appetizer and then get a hibachi entree. I have never eaten all of my food and sometimes cannot even eat half of it. So hopefully you can have enough to take home to enjoy later. This makes it an even better value. Back to the sushi, it is some of the best in town to us. I have three favorite places for sushi and this one ranks second.

As I said the service is very friendly, but do not expect to be served quickly. Everything is most definitely freshly made and just takes a while. We have ordered to go also and it is always ready when we get there.

The restaurant does not have a lot of seating nor employees, so you may want to go early for lunch or dinner if you do not want to wait for a table. The interior is clean but just nothing special as far as decor. We do not care about that though. We go for the great food with a great value. Hope you will look up the menu and give it a try.

• Visited March 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“One of my favorite places to eat!!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I've eaten here numerous times as well as my staff, in fact, we eat there today 2/26/2014 The food is consistently delicious! The prices are very reasonable and you get plenty to eat. The sushi is some of the best I have had anywhere. The service is always great and the quality of food is excellent. Very clean and staff is very friendly. My staff and I are regulars. Excellent restaurant, One of the best places to eat.

• Visited February 2014
“Best Japanese food in Knoxville.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

The service was outstanding, food was excellent, and sushi was crisp and delicious. Very clean and staff is very friendly. We are regulars here now. Excellent restaurant

• Visited January 2014

Been to Mikata Japanese Grill? Share your experiences!