“Great little place in Old City ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lil Vinnies - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great little place in Old City ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Our Ethnic Friday dinner group went to Lil Vinnies this month and had a great time! The tilapia special was well prepared and a nice alternative to traditional Italian dishes. My husband had the lasagna which was so big he had lunch the next day! One of our friends ordered a dish that was not quite what they expected. The server made changes quickly and their dinner was delivered fast. The house wine is all they have by the glass but was better than many standard house brands.
The server paid enough attention to us to make sure we had what was needed without being around constantly.
The portion size and quality was a good value. We will go back. Kevin,the manager is awesome by the way!

Rockwood, TN
“Lil Vinnies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Food was delicious, and the portions were large. The menu was good. The prices were fairly decent. Service was very good. It was a neat little place in the Old City to have dinner. I will go back.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Extremely Disapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I've wanted to go to this little place since it first opened. Having a friend in town made it the occasion to finally go. After waiting 45 minutes for bruschetta (basically, toast with chopped tomatoes) the waitress told us it was taking long because they had a new chef - she then gave me some 20% off coupons. It took quite some time to get our main courses. My meal - chicken carbonara - was so covered in black pepper that it burned my (and my husband's) mouth. When I complained to the server, the manager came up and said "that's what it's supposed to taste like." I said "well, all it tastes like is pepper and I'm pretty sure it should taste like more than that." It took a couple minutes for the waitress to come to the table to ask if I wanted something else. By then my dining companions were halfway through, so I told her I'd take whatever was fast. The manager then came up and said "cabonara means pepper, that's what it was supposed to taste like" - as if arguing the point was going to change my mind that the meal was inedible -?! (BTW "pepe" means pepper). It took so long to get my replacement meal that my companions were pretty much done with theirs by the time I got mine - lukewarm ravioli and cold meatballs (it took a good 20 minutes to get my replacement meal and it wasn't even warm)! By now we'd been there so long, and I really didn't want to argue with the waitress about the temperature of my meal, that I just gave up. I asked for a to-go bag. When the waitress brought our bill she told me my glass of chianti was on the house, which was a nice gesture. However, when my friend paid the tab, she'd put the 20% off coupon in the bill - and it was ignored! When we left, the manager and waitress saw us leave and neither said a word to us. We got 100' out the door and remembered my to-go bag. My husband went to get it, and it was already thrown out. The manager saw us leave. She could have easily called after us, or trotted down the street after us. She could have said thank you - she could have not argued with me - she could apologized nicely at the table. Instead, I got a lousy meal (my companions didn't like their meals but they were edible), arguing about the first meal, no discount and lots of attitude. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. This was supposed to be an excellent meal to end an excellent evening - I wish I could say it was that, but it was just the opposite.

• Visited April 2014
Bath, United Kingdom
“Delicious food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

We went on a Wednesday, which was half price wine night. Our shared flatbread starter was light, crispy and delicious. My chicken main course with capers and lemon butter was excellent and the atmosphere was lovely. Overall wonderful food and very good value.

• Visited March 2014
Maryville
“Best kept secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I were wondering the Old City looking for some place quiet on a Saturday night. After about 45 mins we walked by this place. Small - quiet - and there were a couple tables available. We thought "Why Not".

I must say - Lil Vinnies is now on the top of our list when in downtown Knoxville. The wait staff were pleasant and helpful. The atmosphere kinda reminds you of a small family restaurant in most major cities. It is small, with that old building feel. Lil Vinnies has a small menu but seems to cover most of the basics. My wife had the Spinach Ravioli with the Vodka sauce - I had the Lasagna with meatballs on the side. Also had a capresse salad. We were BLOWN AWAY at the flavor. The attention to the seasoning, temperature, etc. Was spot on!

At the end of the meal - DESSERT! Of course.

We had cheesecake but were tempted to take a Tiramisu home. WOW - we are already planning our next trip to this little gem.

It this spot is not on your list of go to restaurants in Knoxville - IT SHOULD BE!

• Visited March 2014