“Great ribs”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We ordered the ribs & chicken - real smokey flavor. Great ribs -great portions for the price. Waitstaff was very friendly. Southern hospitality at it's best!

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I recently visited while on business and staying in a nearby motel. I was searching for something tasty on the menu which wasn't costly--so I passed on the all-you-can-eat ribs, which was the special for the night. I found the three basket meals on the menu insert. I was able to substitute baked potato for the fries, and one type of meat for another on the basket I ordered--which made me happy. At only $7 I got more than enough to eat, and a nice sample of BBQ. While there is nothing special about the meat, it was tasty, the sauces were good, and the cornbread was excellent--especially with the cinnamon butter. I even went back the next night and had the same order after discovering a competitor charged nearly the same price for a simple sandwich (at the mall.)

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Bad BBQ, and bad service. I have tried it a few times to be sure, but don't you make the same mistake. Not worth giving a try

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stopped here for a late lunch on our way to Kodak. The food was pretty good but, more attention needs to be paid when cleaning the table. There was evidently crumbs between the wall and table which had an army ants enjoying. We were not aware of this until moving the bottles of sauce to the center of the table so everyone could try them to see what the liked. Evidently ants were on the bottoms and this caused several to be on our table as were trying to eat. Not exactly the type of meal you want to remember.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Yeah, we have been known to drive 250 miles out of our way to stop at a Sonny's, it's that good.

I have stopped at Sonny's BBQ locations whenever possible since first finding them many years ago. Unfortunately, the closest one is six states away, so we don't get there often any more.

Sonny's in Knoxville has the same delicious food that they have always offered. It looks like the menu has been expanded to include a lot of new options, but heck, the original is plenty good.

You MUST try their baked beans with a great sweet and spicy flavor and chunks of meat trimmings. Any of the BBQ plates or lunch specials is wonderful. Slices of meat, two sides and garlic bread. Four excellent sauces- "Mild" is the original and my favorite, but they have sweet, spicy and sweet & Spicy options as well so you can find your favorite.

Decor is now sort of "Cracker Barrelish" with assorted old stuff hung on the walls. Waitresses are not hired for their good looks, but for their eagerness to serve customers good food, and they are all friendly and efficient.

Restaurant layout is pure "Sonny's" faithful to the original in Gainesville, FL, and the food quality is the same.

Highly recommended. Much better than "Famous Dave's" in our opinion.