“Trying To Cut Their Overhead”

Pelanchos Mexican Grill
Ranked #356 of 1,179 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Mexican
Knoxville, TN
“Trying To Cut Their Overhead”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Pelanchos used to be one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, but the last time we visited, we noticed some changes in the value. First, let me say, the food is still good, as is the colorful atmosphere. One thing I always enjoy is a good margarita, but Pelanchos no longer puts any tequila (that I could determine) in their margaritas, so they just do not taste as good, but they did not lower the price so you are paying a lot of money for basically nothing. They also serve beer in smaller mugs now, but did not lower the price. I would rather pay more and get quality. Fortunately, there are plenty of other Mexican restaurants that haven't had to cut costs.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Good and authentic”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The food here is really good and the service was excellent! The server seemed happy to have us at her table and made us feel very welcomed. Good, standard Mexican fare at great prices.

Rocky Top, Tennessee
“Good for big family dinner - OK food, great service, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Family dinner for 12. Requested seating on patio. Tables & chairs out there are standard metal/mesh lawn chairs with no padding - not very comfortable. But it was a nice and open area, ok for our evening meal. And our server, Zach <<< was WONDERFUL>>>!!!

Various opinions from our table on the food:
- chips/salsa first, the salsa was fresh and chunky, but the chips were very thin and tasted a little stale - or maybe it was just a different texture from what we are used to. Rated just ok.
- The fajitas platter (steak chicken shrimp and chorizo) cooked on an open flame grill. Done correctly, meats were pretty tasty except the chorizo - which only looked like finely ground beef with spices and red sauce thrown in, kinda nasty.
- Nachos platter were huge, and liked by all who had them.
- Enchilada plate has a red sauce, very good, one of the best items we tried.
- Tacos (crunchy and soft) loaded with meat and cheese, tasty. Some of us didn't like the ground beef taco/enchilada/burrito meat - it didn't seem to be fresh and not spiced quite right.
- But a favorite of all was the taste / texture of the refried beans, really done well, very good.

We didn't partake, but we saw LOTS of margaritas being served in glasses, pitchers, and huge fishbowl-sized goblets(?). They MUST be as great as advertised. Maybe next time.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Worth Finding”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The wonderful Mexican restaurant makes you feel like you are really in Mexico. It's just a few blocks off Kingston Pike and well worth finding. There is defiantly something for everyone on the menu. My wife really enjoys Mexican food and I basically have two dishes that I order with a different meat or shrimp from time to time.
On this visit, I found a third thing that I really enjoyed. The Service was Terrific, which is very important to me. I am a trained chef and really enjoy making some unusual things at home. SO when we go out, if the Service is not good, even if the food is exceptional, I am not pleased. This was an all around pleasant experience.

• Visited February 2013
Powell, TN
“Typical Mexican Place”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Some reviewers call it the "best" Mexican restaurant in town.In my opinion, they all kind of run together. I ordered the Vegetarian Burrito and while good, it was a bit pricey in my opinion. I have a tendency at times to deconstruct a burrito to see what's actually inside. The green chile sauce is excellent. The rice is average as are the chips and salsa. Not sure what makes it "the best" in town. Being non-drinkers, maybe it was the margaritas. The service was efficient although we were seated next to a very loud and obnoxious (and drunk) table. Their crude and offensive language just ruined a nice evening at dinner. Being a family restaurant, management should have taken notice.

• Visited January 2013