“Don't go here for the SERVICE!”

Savelli's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #273 of 1,219 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2010

So I finally got over my previous bad experience and decided to give it another try. They do have good lobster bisque, pizza and greek salads - as long as the lettuce isn't rotten.

There were 3 of us, and we ordered an appetizer mini-calzone, garlic bread, mushroom pizza, greek salad and lobster bisque.

Bisque - maybe I'm picky but why do you serve soup in a bowl and only half fill the bowl? Think about it, would you rather get a small bowl that's filled to the rim or a big bowl that's only half full? From the customer's perspective it seems that if I order a bowl of soup it should be a FULL bowl. I almost feel like I'm being ripped off by only getting 1/2 of a portion while still paying for a full portion.

Calzone - completely not edible! It came out to our table and had been deep-fried - it was like eating a giant plate of fried cheese sticks. Completely gross and disgusting. Whoever heard of deep frying a calzone??? Big waste of money.

Pizza, Salad - very good.

Garlic Bread - don't know, never received it even after asking 3 times. Our waittress commented "You're going to think I'm a ditz"...well actually yes I do!

The check was incorrect (too much) which I've found on several occasions here. The service is fairly poor. Definitely don't come for their math skills or their service.

2  Thank tmynatt

Reviewed January 25, 2010

When I go to Savelli's I get the lobster ravioli as the entree and the bruscetta as an appetizer and I very much enjoy both of them. We like to bring our own wine and sit and enjoy our night. I've never had a problem with service and I have been there a couple of times. I would recommend it.

2  Thank ontheroad1105
Reviewed February 8, 2009

This place has great Italian food and the atmosphere is wonderful. I particularly loved the bake ziti. The service isn't five star -- but that isn't what you expect at a place like this. Savelli's is a good place to come and take your time -- enjoy a bottle of wine and some good authentic Italian food. They have a very low cork fee -- I think it is $2.50 a glass. A couple of the servers are very cute -- but I think the problem lies in the fact that they are understaffed in the server department. But in a place as small as Savelli's it is hard to over-staff and cut into the money that the servers would make and the cost to the business. One last comment -- for the first review here -- a common mistake amongst many in Knoxville is that Chesapeake's serves lobster bisque -- this is not true -- Chesapeake's serves Crab Bisque -- I think Connor's/Chop House serves Lobster Bisque.

2  Thank PatMane
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I had always heard about this particular restaurant so I figured it was time to chek it out... and wish I had never even bothered because I will never step foot in this atrocious place again. When my date and I first got there, there was no sign stating if you must seat yourself or wait to be seated. Not wanting to be rude, we waited. While we waited for 15 minutes at the front door, the one server continuously walked right by us without any acknowledgement. Finally a gentleman, already seated, kindly told us that we could just grab a table ourselves. So now finally seated the server still continues to ignore us. Nearly 30 minutes into our arrival at the restaurant, she begins to approach our table only to start bussing the table directly beside us. After she has completely cleared that table, she then decides to finally acknowledge us, only to be the most rude server I have ever experienced. She slams two menus in front of us and says, "What do you want to drink". As if us being there was an inconvenience to her. We had finally reached our limit and walked out at that point. Not only was it absolutely the most horrible experience I have ever had at any restaurant, we later found out that this rude young lady was the owner's daughter. This was just the last detail to further reinforce my opinion that this sorry excuse for a restaurant will never receive mine or any of my friend's business.

3  Thank girlglglam03
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Savelli's is a whole in the wall with good food! I would love to give them 5 stars but I can't. The service isn't always great or even good for that matter. On a busy night I feel like they treat you like you are a burden. I'm a server and very forgiving of bad service but there is a point where it just goes above and beyond horrible and unfriendly. That was my last few experiences at Savelli's with service. My biggest complaint though is how many weeknights we have attempted to eat at Savelli's only to drive all the way there and find that oh they just decided to close early that day. The last straw was a few weeks ago when I called at 6pm to make reservations for 8:30pm. They said oh don't worry you won't need reservations just come on down...so we got there at 8:20, walked in and what do you know "sorry guys we closed early". If you have a closing time you should stick to it & just lower the amount of staff ,not close!! I know many people that have had this same issue with Savelli's. Not a good way to treat your customers. They might not always return. I probably won't!

2  Thank Renee78