“A favorite...went here the night we got engaged...the food is really good, prices are decent.”

Calhoun's On The River
Ranked #8 of 1,200 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Reviewed March 31, 2008

We went to Calhoun's to taste their beer which we found mediocre at best. But the food was very good. I had their 10 ounce prime rib and it tasted great. Cooked to perfection.

Reviewed March 21, 2008

I am originally from Knoxville and visit there once or twice a year to see family. We just went there in March 2008.

Every time we go to Tennessee, we go to Calhoun's. I prefer Calhoun's on the River. It is near the football stadium and during football season you can watch the people with their boats party up and down the river.

We go there every time. I like the one at the river because you can bring bread and feed the geese, birds, and carp. I have two young sons who really enjoy this along with their grandmother. It is better to Bring your own bread. Also, if it is summer, there is an outdoor fountain the children can play in just down the way from the restaurant. The restaurant is also near ( driving distance) to the Basketball Hall of Fame, James White Fort, UT, the river boat,
and the train.

Calhoun's makes its own beer. It is really good. I like the Pale Ale. My husband used to buy growlers of the beer when my parents lived closer to the restaurant.

They have a great children's menu featuring steak, ribs, chicken tenders, etc. The kids get the chicken tenders served in a paper car. That is a highlight.

The ribs are awesome. My favorite meal is the oriental chicken salad with honey mustard dressing. The bbq chicken is good also. There is something for everyone even if you are not a rib eater. They are famous for their ribs.

We had our wedding rehearsal dinner in 1995 at Calhoun's on the river. My sister had her dinner there in 2001. it was a great place to host people from out of state who wanted TN bar-b-que. It also had a beautiful banquet room overlooking the river.

The food is reasonably priced. It is a fun place to visit if you are in Knoxville. It is often crowded and always busy during the lunch hour so it can get noisy. They also have a deck to eat outside.

Reviewed February 21, 2008

I thought the food was fair, the dessert quality and selection less than fair, and the service annoying. I would not go back.

1  Thank SaminDC
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 18, 2008

A Knoxville landmark! Great food, eating inside is nice, but eating on the patio in the summer on the river is a must.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook