“Excellent Ribs”

Calhoun's On The River
Ranked #8 of 1,187 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Ribs”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I wish we had these places back in TX. I know I know, we are known for having good BBQ in TX. This place has us beat.

Visited April 2013

Beavercreek, Ohio, United States
“Good BBQ”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've eaten at this restaurant a couple times with large groups. The food and service were good. I will go back next time I'm in town.

Visited March 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Can't beat the deck on the river.”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Been here a few times, call ahead to see if there's a band playing on the deck. If so, it will be crowded out there, but very cool.

Calhouns has several restaurants in Knoxville, this is the only one on the river... convenient to University of Tennessee and the downtown area. Large indoor restaurant, large outdoor deck.

Known for ribs (which are pretty good but lack much variety: pretty much one style of sauce, no dry-rub, etc). I had a sampler plate this time, chicken fingers (excellent), ribs (pretty good), and pulled pork (not served with any sauce, but you can add it)(decent, mine was a little dry).

We also had the Ale Steak and wow: that was really really nice. Delicious flavor.

So: Ambience? A+
Food: A
Service: A

• Visited May 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great in the Summer”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I love going their during the summer and sitting outside, watching the boats go by. The food is good and service is also very good

Visited June 2012
Memphis
“Lunch while visiting UT Knox campus”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We took our son for a visit of the UT Knox campus. When asking around for places to eat, almost everyone mentioned Calhoun's.

My wife had the Prime Rib sandwich, it was a huge portion and very tasty. She loved it.
Myself and our friend that lives in Knoxville had the Bab-B-Que plate. It was good, but not the best I've had. I'm from Memphis and am partial to Memphis Bar-B-Que.
My son had the Country Fried Steak and he said it was good.
My daughter's Chicken Nuggets were not good - no taste and soggy.

If you like Bar-B-Que, I would recommend trying it. They give you large portions.

Also, you do have some great views of the river. Plus, plenty of space to walk around outside and take in the sights of the river. It's very near the UT campus.

Visited February 2013