“A Knoxville Tradition Worth a Visit by the Traveler” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #130 of 1,159 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“A Knoxville Tradition Worth a Visit by the Traveler”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed at a motel off of the Papermill Road exit from I 75 and took advantage of being within a mile of the Naples to have dinner there. We had eaten there together and separately in the 1990s when we lived in Tennessee and had business in Knoxville so expected a good meal. We were not disappointed. The Naples was always busy and is a favorite of locals. It is a dark as part of the atmosphere and the building is old which can lead to the mistaken impression that it is dirty. It's not. The service was very good. We were seated immediately upon arrival (Note that we ate there on a Tuesday and although they were busy there were empty tables. Business picks up later in the week.). The server quickly took our drink orders and was efficient and attendant throughout the meal. My wife order the stuffed cannelloni special. The cannelloni was stuffed with a beef and horseradish preparation covered with an ample amount of red sauce. She found it tasty, but you would have to have a taste for horseradish to really enjoy it as there was more than a hint of this ingredient. The Naples serves specials that you won't find at a chain Italian restaurant and the calamari entrée which I ordered was one. Large slices of calamari were sautéed, seasoned with basil and other Italian herbs and served with a nice white sauce over angel hair pasta. Clearly you have to fancy calamari to order this dish. I do and enjoyed it a great deal. The calamari was firm, but tender and wonderfully seasoned. The dinner came with a nice loaf of fresh bread and a choice of one side. We chose fresh broccoli. It had good flavor, but was slightly undercooked for my taste. I found the prices reasonable and competitive with other Italian restaurants. If you are staying in the area and want to eat at a local Italian restaurant instead of a predictable change do what many of the Volunteer faithful do and visit the Naples Italian Restaurant.

• Visited July 2014

mt carmel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The worst place we have ever eat..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

This place is filthy, dirt and grim and nasty. The name fits it well, Naples the city is just as disgusting !! The service is horrible. My husband's chicken was raw, the waiter took it back and a few minutes later brought it back. The same chicken was on the plate which meant contamination!!! We was charged for food we didn't eat!!! All in all this was the worst place we have ever tried and will not go back. The owner needs to fire his staff and then hang himself!!!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank ozsoutlaw
Etowah, Tennessee
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

I went with a group of 6 friends to celebrate a birthday on May 20th, 2014. We had a bit of a wait for our food, but our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. He gave suggestions when we asked. I ordered the chicken saltimbocca and it was wonderful! The bread was terrific. I had two glasses of moscato and it was very good. I am a crème brulee fan so I asked what the flavor of the day was...get ready...Godiva. Yes I said Godiva. Best crème brulee I ever had. Will definitely go back. Loved the laid back vibe!

• Visited May 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“This is an average Italian restaurant ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Growing up Italian and having fresh made sauce and pasta every week I was really hoping to have a great experience. The tomato sauce is not good at all, it taste like tomato paste not sauce. The scallops were good and the sauce was very good but not enough on the pasta. It was dry due to not enough sauce. The gnocchi appetizer was a disappointment. The server never told us about the specials and have me the wrong vegetable with my dinner and by the time it was corrected we were done with our meal. We then heard another server telling the table behind us the specials. It would have been nice if our server told us. He did not seem to care about his customers. The atmosphere of the restaurant was very nice. The one part I enjoyed the most was the Italian cream cake dessert. I'm not sure how it is called that since it tasted just like German chocolate cake but it was excellent.

Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“First time to visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife is Italian and we are always searching for "real" Italian food in the area. A friend gave us a gift card to Naples and said they thought it was the closest thing to real Italian in Knoxville. We both enjoyed our meal but my wife the Italian says she thinks the sauce was not good for Italian. I also thought the sauce was no better than anything I had gotten from a jar. The Veal that I ordered was very good and my wife said the scallops were also very good. We got an started that was very good and a delicious dessert. We would go back and try some of the other dishes.

• Visited April 2014