“Disappointing”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We recently went to Naples and came away disappointed. I had the spinach lasagna thinking it would be layers of spinach between the noodles. They had prepared it by blending the spinach with the ricotta and the result was not good. In addition, it did not have enough sauce and almost no cheese on the top layer. My wife had the meat lasagna and while it tasted better than the spinach, it also lacked sauce and cheese on the top. My wife said the Tiramisu was very good which saved this from a one star event. We will not go back

1  Thank TN-Worm

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went to Naples tonight after passing it several times and seeing their sign which includes its having been voted best Italian restaurant in Knoxville. Upon entering, I was prepared to understand why this restaurant had garnered this support from others. The smell of garlic, the cozy bar, and the checkered table cloths made me hope I had been transported back to "the Hill" in my home town of St. Louis (a Mecca for Italian food aficionados). Would that had been the case! The highlights: the wedge salad, the ravioli special and the house Chianti. The lowlights: the barramundi (sea bass) special, the Caesar salad, and the steamed broccoli. Two dishes were good to great, the rest were below average. The fish was as bland a dish as I have ever tasted. In fairness, it was to be served with crawfish on top which my spouse requested to be left off. Nevertheless, it is hard to believe that the dish would have been that negatively affected by this request. The ravioli special had a pesto sauce with sundried tomato filling. It was very good, but could have used more sauce. The Caesar salad on the other hand could have used a lot less salad dressing. The clear hands down winners of the evening were the wedge salad with blue cheese crumbles and the house Chianti. Would I go again? I will probably give it one more try - next time at lunch.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stopped here for lunch with some colleagues during our break from training. It is a quaint little place - a real find in the middle of the city. Location is easy to get to - right off of Kingston. Delicious bread and water served immediately upon your arrival. I ordered the crab meat sandwich and fries (I wasn't craving Italian but my colleagues were) and it was delish - I could only eat half of it. Colleagues ordered more traditional Italian cuisine and they loved it! I would love to come here for a romantic dinner with my hubby!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband made reservations at Naples for my birthday, I was excited because I heard good things about the restaurant. The restaurant was full when we arrived and the hostess asked us if we would mind sitting in back, I told her we had never been there before and didnt know what "the back" really was. So we were seated and waited 10 minutes before anyone came and took our drink orders. as we were reviewing our menu a huge party of about 40 people arrived. They were very loud and we felt out of place, we were the only people beside the 40 person party in that room. We placed our order and spent the next 15 to 20 minutes staring at the dingy old room and feeling uncomfortable and unable to have a conversation due to the loud party right next to us. We got our food and ate fairly quickly so we could leave. The food was not horrible but not very good. The portions are small for what you pay. If you have ever eaten real italian food, you will not enjoy Naples. I am Italian and grew up in an Italian family, we never ate pasta with raw peppers and onions in it. I have never seen pepperoni in a pasta dish. I got chicken marsala, it wasnt terrible but it was not good.
Our server saw we were uncomfortable and must have told her manager, because she came out and asked us if everything was ok, I told her it was my birthday and we were trying to have a nice family dinner and instead felt like we were crammed in a spare table next to a loud party. She asked if there was anything she could do, I told her in the future when she gets birthday reservations for a first time guest dont put them in a room with a party booked, and there should have been some kind of birthday thing like a piece of cake or something. I just wanted the check.

We will never return and I will make sure everyone I know will never go to Naples.

A bit of advice to Naples management, train your hostess to make better seating decisions, your servers should understand the menu items better. Update your menu and facility. Everything it out of date, old, and dirty. Do something special for people when they visit for their birthday.

1  Thank Lucia E
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went with a large group.
We must have picked a busy night because it took a while to be seated but after that the service was really good. Food was great, service was quick and friendly, and atmosphere was really good.