“Interesting”

Tomato Head
Ranked #7 of 1,200 Restaurants in Knoxville
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Description: We believe less processed food tastes better. Not only does it taste better, it's much healthier too. You'll notice this difference in our house made dressings and handcrafted pizzas, as well as in our colorful salads and sandwiches. Fresh produce from East Tennessee farmers like Hines Valley Farm, Mountain Meadows Farm and Colvin Family Farm is featured in our daily specials. Well known for our vegan and vegetarian dishes, our menu has plenty for the carnivore. All of our proteins are nitrate/nitrite free, all natural and antibiotic free. Our house made lamb sausage is cooked in small batches to ensure freshness. Our sister bakery, Flour Head Bakery, prepares all of the Tomato Head's desserts and breads (including gluten free!) Each morning. By using unbleached and unbromated King Arthur Flour, we create healthier and better tasting pizza dough and sandwich breads. We also can easily accommodate your dietary needs. Whether it's a nut allergy, a preference for vegan fare or a gluten sensitivity, our staff will craft a dish to suit your tastes.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This restaurant was selected by a Knoxville friend to take me to Sunday brunch on my brief visit with her and her husband while I was in town for business. It is a place they frequent. I loved the funky ambiance of the patio seating just off the Market Square with a great view for people watching. Small children were hopping in and out of the nearby fountain on the Square. I went by recommendations of my friend's husband and had the Clyde breakfast sandwich. It was just okay. The bacon was delicious but the egg part seemed tasteless. I did enjoy the side of fresh fruit that came with it - and it was really fresh and delicious. My first thought of a Belgium waffle may have been the better choice.

The service was good. The prices seemed typical for a trendy place in a bigger city. I was amused at the hand-drawn dragon cartoons in one of the restrooms which are for either men or women.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Food was a above average but very pricey. Our lunch was $36 after tip and food was nothing to rave about.We ordered a bread and pesto dip app and we each had a small pizza (because we wanted to try different styles). Pesto was great but the bread was boring. One pizza (lamb sausage) was good but the other (goat cheese tomato) was extremely bland. Decor was very stale but on a good note it was very clean.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I ate at Tomato Head West this evening and it was really great. Really nice ambiance: good energy, nice space, friendly service. We went early (6:00 pm) and were seated right away. They have some really nice beers on tap, and their wine menu is value-priced.
We had the hummus plate with blue corn chips. They both were really good. I had a 9" pizza for dinner. The andouille sausage was just superb: nice smoky, musky flavor. It was just wonderful. The crust was done to perfection. My wife had the chef salad, and she thought it was really good.
All in all, this was one of the better casual meals we've had in Knoxville in a long, long time. You get tremendous value for your money here. Don't miss it!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This may be OK for some but we just did not like it at all. Service was just OK...it's just not for us!

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Good spot to eat some pizza. They use local products which i liked. You can see the guys making the pizzas from the front window if you sit outside which is kinda neat. You can choose from their specialty pizzas or choose your own toppings. There are three sections of toppings with the price ranging from $0.85 - $1.50ish per topping with a basic pizza at about $8-9.The pizza was good, service and prices ok.my husband had the sweet tea there and he didn't like it, had to ask for a coke-mind you be loves sweet tea and other area restaurants got it right...not sure what happened here that it was so watered down but even the waitress said "wait,let me get you another one because this is almost all water"...should've changed at that point. Would go back maybe for lunch, but not my first choice.