Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Knoxville West - Papermill Dr
Ranked #24 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Luxurious Amenities”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Friendly staff -- amazing customer service, informative, and patient with our needs.
Excellent water pressure in the bathroom -- perfect for someone like me who was on the road all day.
Great Wi-Fi -- we didn’t have to bother with login or paying for additional fees, faster than my Wi-Fi at home!
Comfortable beds, clean rooms, and layout didn’t feel cramped. Very spacious.
Excellent location near interstate 40 and 75 as well as Kingston Pike which was close to all the great local restaurants. Not to mention, my drive to the airport only took 15 minutes.
Really good continental breakfast,...the list goes on.

You really get what you paid for here. Highly recommend this to anyone staying in or passing through Knoxville, TN.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel to be very nice with a wonderful staff. It has a convenient location to the interstate & a few restaurants (down a block & around the corner). However, I found the rooms cramped & dimly lit. It took me a 'hot second' to find the small, hidden closet. To stay a night or two is great, but I would not be able to stay much longer. The rest of the hotel is extremely nice & inviting, but also cramped. My favorite spot (besides the smokers) was out front around the fire pit.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Knoxville West - Papermill Dr, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear cherry7up,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are glad you liked the friendliness of our staff and the convenient location of our property. Please allow us to apologize you were not well satisfied with the room accommodations you had and the layout of our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we all hope to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Very comfortable bed and wonderful pillows!
It sits on an interstate but we asked for a room on the back side of the hotel and it was very quiet.
Clean and fresh feel to the hotel and a good breakfast selection.
Would recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2014
Kannapolis, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stopped here after driving on I-40 for a long while. It was about 3am. The man at the front desk was polite and the place looked like it was recently built. It was extremely clean. Rooms were fabulous. The free breakfast is AMAZING! Probably the best breakfast bar I've had at a Hotel. Pancakes, sausage, biscuits, juice, coffee, bagels, etc. I would stay again!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We visited Knoxville for a school function. This hotel is well positioned to get to campus within 10 minutes. It's right off the interstate and only a few miles down the interstate to the exit for Alcoa HWY and then a turn for campus. Also, it was a short drive to Walmart and Gander Mountain. Waffle house is a half minute drive and several restaurants are within a 1-2 minute drive and plenty more within a 5 minute drive. The decor of this hotel is pretty interesting. I was scared at first by the 1970's motel blue streak running up the front but I was calmed inside. The lobby was very nice. Several tables for breakfast and several comfortable chairs as well. I was greeted quickly upon entering the door and check in was quick. They offered me a comp bottle of water which I took. The rooms are really nice. They have a keurig in room which was a nice change.

Bad stuff: The halls are very alive after 9 am. If you're a late sleeper this may not be the hotel for you. I don't know if it was the hotel staff or just people going in and out. But I could hear everything.

The fitness center is pretty small. Two treadmills, 1 elliptical and a small weight stack, which is easy enough to make do with. The problem was that there was about six inches of space between the equipment (maybe 9"…. didn't measure) which made getting on and off a hassle, especially if someone else was using the one next to you. The biggest problem was the heat. There was no temp control in the room and it was sweltering. After 15 minutes of cardio I felt like I'd done 45. Also, the water cooler was turned off.

Next bad thing was the pool (location and indoor pool were the driving factors for picking this hotel). We used it the first night and everything was okay. The second night we went to use it and it was closed for routine cleaning. This wouldn't have been such a bother if they put the sign up the day before and said it would be closed for cleaning the next day. The most annoying part though was that no one was actually cleaning it while it was closed.

Good Stuff: Service. The breakfast staff was very nice. They greeted everyone that came down and managed to chat with a few people between keeping everything stocked and fresh. (IHG, you should definitely commend these people [it was a lady and a guy working 3/28 and 3/29], they are a great asset to this hotel). The breakfast was your standard HIE fare, pancakes, meat, biscuits, gravy, and assorted bread and pastries. One thing I didn't like was that the only yogurt offered was sugar free. I realize the healthy hype for yogurt but I just really don't like artificial sweeteners and won't get into why they're not good to eat. But needless to say, a regular cup of yogurt would have been great. I just went to Walmart and grabbed a few so no huge problem.

Coffee: I thoroughly enjoyed being able to grab a cup whenever coming through the lobby. They had decaf and reg caf so for the coffee lovers out there, you can have some whenever.

Recap: The things to fix would be servicing the pool during hours people are not likely to use it instead of the evening. Also, adding another yogurt choice would be great (although I will say I'm being picky in that regard ha, the rest of breakfast was great). Lastly, some way to control the temp in the fitness center is seriously needed (Every other IHG hotel I've visited that had a fitness center has had either a temp control or a fan).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Fieldale, Virginia
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I was impressed with hotel itself, nice lobby & room. I think the front desk workers need to work on their attention to details. Our first room wasn't cleaned; We were given an expired Internet code; drinks we paid cash for were charged to my card; phones in room weren't connected. I made lots of trips to the front desk.

• Stayed March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Knoxville West - Papermill Dr, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Kym N,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel very nice and in great location. On the other hand, I apologize for the inconvenience the service you received from our staff may have caused. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Westover, Alabama
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I arrived tonight to a clean room. The staff was very friendly. After two good experiences with HIE, I went ahead and signed up for the rewards program. I'm out 80 nights per year so I can't wait to start building points. Plus, the true HD flat screen (I think it's a 47 inch) really sold the brand for me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business