“It's okay, but I have had better”
Review of Genghis Grill - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Genghis Grill
Cuisines: Mongolian
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have eaten at a number of Mongolian restaurants, and I have usually found them to be very good. However, the Mongolian Grill in Knoxville was not as good as some others I have eaten at.

First of all, when we waited to be seated, the person who came to seat us did not have the best professional appearance, and he acted as if he really did not care for his job.

Our waitress, however, was superb. She clearly explained our options and went out of her way to make sure that our needs were met. Her service was the most remarkable part of the restaurant.

The atmosphere was not exceptional and seemed more like a bar than a restaurant.

I had been told that you could only make one trip through, but that is not true. For an additional $4 per person, you can have the unlimited option which gives unlimited trips to the food bar.

On my first trip through, the food looked fresh although some of the options were nearly empty. There were not many people in the restaurant at this time so I was surprised that someone did not keep current with the food bar.

Some of the other Mongolian restaurants I have been to offered a greater selection, but it was certainly adequate. I was searching for spices and options that I had used at other places, but could not find them.

Nonetheless, there were sufficient choices, and the food looked good.

I chose rice as my starch. But on the first trip through the rice tasted as though it was not thoroughly cooked. It was a little hard and crunchy. But the rest of the food tasted pretty good.

On the second trip through, the grilled food was burnt black and tasted burnt. I'm not sure how they weren't paying attention to the food to burn it, but I have heard from others who have gone there and also were served burnt food,

I really wanted to like the Genghis Grill. And I might come back again sometime and eat here, but this is definitely not my favorite restaurant.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Went with friends for a meal there last night. You get a small metal bowl to fill up with anything from an incredible array of meats, vegetables, spices and sauces. It is cooked over a hot grill and served with your choice of starch (I had brown rice). Very nice opportunity to mix and match to your hearts content.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

As we had a discount coupon, we decided to give Genghis a try. We started with the Chicken Rolls as an appetizer. We were thankful for the peanut sauce as these ‘rolls’ were gummy and the ingredients were tasteless. The big plus was that they were inexpensive! My ‘stir fry’ entree had no flavor! I had to add a hot sauce and some soy sauce to give it any ‘pop’ at all.
My better half ‘hated’ her dinner…and as she told the Manager, when he asked if we enjoyed our meal, she ate it only because she hadn’t eaten all day and she was very hungry! Plus, she told him that she'd never be back!

Have I talked about our server yet? Well, what can I say! He was poorly trained. His approach to both the food selection process, customer satisfaction and service was one of ignorance. He was good spirited but fairly useless… Genghis does offer a series of 10 pre-designed meals for diners who are unsure what to chose from the line…My wife didn’t want to choose items that wouldn’t work together. So she decided to go with pre-set offering of #1. Guess what?! There were no ‘menu cards’ for offering #1. They’d ‘run out of them’. Our server’s advice was just take a little of this and a little of that and it would work out. He didn’t have a clue and he didn’t really seem to care or think it mattered.

Genghis likes to use the term ‘Khanquered’ when referring to winning over new customers and/or a new market area. We definitely weren’t conquered nor were we ‘Khanquered’!! As Trip Advisor's reviews of Genghis Grills across the country shows, the chain is fairly well thought of...so I can only conclude that this location has a serious management problem... Even with our coupon, this restaurant wasn't worth the money spent!

I must give some credit to Genghis Grill's corporate team. They have media people scanning or looking for 0n-line comments about their restaurants and, when they read my blog on this restaurant, they reached out to us to try to make it right.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Went with family to this new concept grill I heard of. Was great! You pick out what you want as far as meats, veggies, seasonings and sauces. How amazing. They cook it and bring it to you. Will go back soon.