“CLOSED”
Review of Blount Mansion

Blount Mansion
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Their peak month for visitors and they were closed for renovation. What an incredible amount of stupidity on their part.

5  Thank Sharond80
mks2x, Manager at Blount Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

We are sorry that you were not able to visit the Blount Mansion when you were in town.

The Blount Mansion is currently closed for renovations to ensure that the property will be intact for future generations of visitors to the site. Because of the extensive renovations to stabilize the property, the mansion is considered a hard-hat construction zone; for the safety of our staff and visitors we are unable to open the house for tours during the historic preservation project.

We do currently offer an exhibit in the Visitors Center which shows some of the furniture from the home and offers an interpretation of the life of the Blount family. Additionally, we have an introductory video that explains the history of the site and Knoxville.

Again, I am sorry for your disappointment. If you have further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at director@blountmansion.org

All reviews
"senator"
"rebuilt"
"outbuildings"

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Just moved to area, so bought the inclusive ticket at the visitors center. The Blount Mansion was my first place to visit. It was somewhat of a rainy day, so I was the only one even in the reception area, yet the guy sitting behind the desk...watching TV asked that I come back in 45 minutes for tour...ok...came back..still only person there. We walk over to the house and walk inside which is hardly a 'mansion' and sparsely any decorations inside to get a feel for the time or history of the place. I was told the pieces aren't even original to the house, and that was only because I asked. My 'tour guide' said he really didn't want to give a bunch of history, so just to ask a question if I wanted to know anything....That's code for: I'm too lazy! Needless to say, I haven't visited any other historical home, my ticket is collecting dust!

10  Thank danya j
mks2x, Executive Director at Blount Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

We are sorry to hear that your visit to the Blount Mansion was not excellent. We do offer tours every hour, on the hour, because of our limited staff and resources as a non-profit. The Mansion was certainly considered a mansion by 1790s and 1800s standards for the frontier territory and early statehood, though it is not a mansion by the standards of many modern people. As your tour guide may have told you, the original furniture and artifacts from the home were sold during tough times for the Blount family. Many pieces in the home are original to the time period and are set up in a way that reflects the way the house might have appeared in the past. Our tour guides like to offer the guest the chance to learn about what interests them, especially on small tours, not because they don't want to teach you things. Inquiry based learning is many times more effective and memorable than lectures, and we strive to create memories and great learning experiences to our visitors.

If you have any further questions or suggestions, please feel free to email the Executive Director at director@blountmansion.org.

Thanks for your review.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Blount mansion is a wonderful place to go! I went with a group and it was lots of fun! The tour guide was amazing! We just didn't get enough time to go downstairs where the slaves were! Well I would love to go agin!

4  Thank Peaceout1107
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is an awesomely preserved mansion that is totally open to the public and is filled with items, paintings, hardware, and fixtures of the time when Knoxville first went on the map.

3  Thank ChrissyAdventures