“Would not recommend”

Ranked #5 of 199 things to do in Knoxville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fun on the outside and serious about animals on the inside, Zoo Knoxville is committed to giving our guests an unforgettable experience.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We went to the zoo on our vacation it does not say anything about paying for parking which was $5 the admission of $19.95 was extremely too high but we thought maybe its awesome it is not the conseccison stands where extremely high also there were several animal attraction closed it was not worth the money I would not go back or recommend

There are newer reviews for Zoo Knoxville

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This zoo has a nice assortment of animals, tho the animals do NOT consider it their job to keep us entertained, or even show themselves in some cases. There are a number of empty exhibits, and new ones that are not completed yet, so sometimes we were disappointed. Zoos often give me the creeps, my distaste for imprisoned things...but many of the habitats were very spacious and creatively "furnished", which was nice. Very clean zoo, limited food opportunities, gift shop. Camel rides (but only April thru Sept)- things like that. I had a handicapped friend with me, pushing him in a wheelchair, got quite a workout with the hilly terrain. Oh- that's my only real complaint, the Zoo has the NERVE to charge for wheelchair rentals (I think it's $15), which I think is criminal. I don't consider it appropriate for a business to claim to be handicapped accessible/friendly, and then try to generate extra income that way. We brought our own wheelchair because of that. The motorized handicapped scooters- maybe a small charge for that (tho I don't even see THAT as appropriate) may be more acceptable, but ......come on! It seems very mean-spirited to expect a handicapped person to pay MORE to see the zoo.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Knoxville is full of many interesting things, this is one of them. Great way to spend a family day or a day with that special one. Something for everyone. But when you visit...enjoy the moment!

1  Thank tony n
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We went on Oct 1, 2013 and it was very disappointing, some of the exhibits and concession stands were closed and i surely didn't see many animals.I was lucky to see 2 or 3 of each ones they had. There was no reptile area, it looked like a zoo that someone had in their back yard. Don't waste or time or money on this. The should be discounted in the fall if they have more animals in the spring

2  Thank Barb w
Reviewed September 29, 2013

First off, the zoo is way overpriced. It cost over $50 for my husband and I to go (and we only bought one small slushie.
Second, I felt bad for the animals. The zoo is located near a very loud racetrack and a freeway. If their zoo habitats are supposed to mirror their real habitats...they sure don't here! I was annoyed by the constant noise and I was only there for 2 hours. Most of the animals looked sad and/or sedated. Many looked like they wanted to escape there small enclosures.
I'm fine with raising some animals in captivity but this zoo does not provide an adequate environment. Just my two cents.

1  Thank Susan S
Tina R, Public Relations Manager at Zoo Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Susan, we are so very sorry about the noise level on the Saturday you visited. I was also here that day and found the noise level from a motorsports event they were hosting in the adjacent Chilhowee Park to be unpleasant as well. Fortunately, that is not an everyday occurrence, and I brought your review to the attention of our Executive Director to see if there is anything we can do about future events. I did want to reassure you that we are accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, and in order to be accredited we have strict guidelines for animal housing and welfare to meet to ensure they are healthy and happy. We do provide enrichment activities for the animals as part of our daily husbandry practices, and it is just as important as diet and vet care. Unfortunately, even those can't compete with a nice nap in the afternoon sun on days like this particular Saturday, which many seem to enjoy this time of year. I do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback, for it is our goal to make sure we provide our visitors with the best experience possible, and I fear the noise from the event going on next door compromised your visit. For that we are truly sorry, and hope to find ways to avoid that in the future.
Tina Rolen