“Great Zoo, but Hard to Take Pictures!”
Review of Zoo Knoxville

Zoo Knoxville
Ranked #5 of 202 things to do in Knoxville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fun on the outside and serious about animals on the inside, Zoo Knoxville is committed to giving our guests an unforgettable experience.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 17, 2013

There are a lot of upgrades going on at this zoo, so be prepared for several areas to be closed. The areas that have already been upgraded are VERY nice. It's easy to get very close to the animals in these new sections. However, it's very difficult to take pictures because of the fences and glass used at this zoo. I haven't had the same photography issue at other zoos. The worst part of the Knoxville Zoo is the reptiles because it is just so hard to see them through the glass (or plastic or whatever it is). The best part for me is a tie between the river otters and the prairie dogs. Also, the butterfly area is very beautiful. I actually had a butterfly land in my hair and my boyfriend snapped a picture before it flew away. The food and refreshments here are a bit pricey. The dippin' dots always seems to be closed when we go, but here's a tip - you can usually get them at the regular snack stands if you ask! There are a few steep hills at this zoo if you have mobility issues. But there are several benches throughout the zoo to sit on if you need to take a break.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have been to lots of zoos and the animals are always sleeping or cannot be found. They actually make it so even if the animals are sleeping you can view them, which is pretty cool. When we were there they were feeding the animals and we got to watch. The zoo needs a bit more updating but they ARE working on it. When it is all done this place will be wonderful. Enjoy! if you purchase your tickets at Krogers you can same money

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Most of zoo was either closed, broken, under repair, or out of order. Went a long distance, paid more for tickets than zoo in NC that was so much nicer and larger. Very very disappointing. Very hard to view animals, small.animals in action section and feeding giraffes closed early and was not able to do these which may have been the possibility for a good time there. I do not ever recommend this zoo to anyone. There are too many other zoos that are much better to spend your time and money on.

Tina R, Public Relations Manager at Zoo Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Oh, dear! We are very sorry to hear that your visit did not live up to your expectations. It seems that we have given you the wrong impression on several fronts. While we are undergoing a major renovation in the west end of our zoo as we construct our new Tiger Forest, we do not have any animals that are not on view as a result nor do we have any areas of the zoo closed. While we do have to close our giraffe feeding experience when there is thunder or severe weather, we did have to close for two days while we completed the new entry ramp, and we apologize for disappointing you. We welcome feedback from our visitors on how we can make their experience better, and I would be very appreciative if you would be kind enough to email me at trolen@knoxville-zoo.org or call me at (865) 637-5331 ext. 377 so I can speak to you personally about your visit and address any problems. Sincerely, Tina Rolen, Assistant Director of Marketing

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Especially for a town that is not that large, I am totally impressed. The zoo has hills in it (as would be expected in Knoxville) and really well laid out - creatively. The outdoor habitats for the animals are large, well done and very natural. Great variety of animals and nice viewing areas. Worth a detour.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was the Best Zoo I have visited so far. This summer I took the children to 4 different Zoos and by far this was the best one. Very open, children could see animals and staff was very helpful and pleasant.

1  Thank Carrie S