“Decent way to spend a gorgeous afternoon.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 188 things to do in Knoxville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Knoxville's largest year-round attraction, Knoxville Zoo is situated on 53 acres and home to over 800 animals from around the world.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Decent way to spend a gorgeous afternoon.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

This zoo is obviously transistioning from the old school style of exhibits , iron cages, to newer more natural ones! The gorilla enclosure was fantastic. My wife and kids thought the otters were so cute that we should get some as pets! The depressing iron cages are the only real downside.

Byron Center
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“This is good...and I am not Lion!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We spent some time here recently while visiting the area. One of the finest Zoo's I have seen. The new areas, the Lions and Baboons were out and in full force. Also saw many Elephants and Giraffe's. They are building a ramp at the giraffe experience which will allow you to look "eye to eye" with them, feed them or pet them! Also experienced a "hands on" petting experience with one of the penguins, which was fun! The bird shows were very informative as was "Einstein"! I definitely will go back!

1 Thank BobKaiser
Rockledge, Florida, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“WOW, What a nice zoo for kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were scared to go here after reading some of the reviews. Obviously they must have visited a different zoo then the one we visited this week. This zoo is not new but has many new features in it that make it a top notch zoo. We found the water park a nice feature on a hot summer day. It also has a inside discovery center for the kids to run around and play. Also they have quite an array of animals to see, some of which weren't on display when we were there but a large number were. There is also a large play area for the kids to run through. The only thing I found wrong at the zoo was the coke machine took my money and didn't give me a soda (the zoo refunded me), and the wax machines are old and don't always produce a perfect wax figure (the zoo has plenty in the gift shop that you can get on your way out to replace the messed up one). Other than that this zoo is atleast a 9 out of 10 for me and my family. We deffinely recommend this zoo to people with kids 3-10 years old. One last thing, they have awesome ropes course in the middle of the park for $7. Love this zoo!

2 Thank Kyle B
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Nice zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a good time!!! The new lion and baboon areas were really nice. The kids really like the safari splash. The volunteers we spoke to were very helpful and knowledgeable. I will diffenty be back.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank timbo68
Jefferson, GA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Lots of improvements in process (construction)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Signs and maps, not untypically, a weakness.
Long and narrow display grounds.

A little more "personal" about the characters in residence, the staff shared information about individual animal personality that is often not available in bigger zoos.
Feels like a "family operation".

Visited May 2013