“Poorly Managed, horrible breakfast”

TownePlace Suites Knoxville Cedar Bluff
Ranked #45 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Euless, Texas
“Poorly Managed, horrible breakfast”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed here with my family on our way to Vermont. Checked in around 10PM and with management scrambling to accommodate even after I called in advance that same day to inform them of my late arrival. BTW, I am an elite member. Rooms were fine and the sleep was great. Woke early to get on the road 6:00am to discover that the eating area consisted of a wall with a shelf to stand at while you selected from bad fruit and yogurt. This is surely a property management issue, I have stayed many TPS whose breakfast was equal to Marriott concierge style foods. So, don't tell me that's what Marriott's policy is! Don't stay here, pick another property down the way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GaryKlimeck
Kari L, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Knoxville Cedar Bluff, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Hello my name is Kari Lewis and I am the General Manager for the TownePlace Suites in Knoxville, I am very sad to hear you did not like our hotel and our breakfast offerings. The other hotels you are speaking of are new hotels that were built with the breakfast room and seating areas. Our hotel is 10 years old and when we opened back in 2003 Breakfast was not offered at any Towneplace Suites so until we are renovated with all the new amenities we are trying our best with the breakfast we do offer. All of our breakfast items are individually wrapped and sealed and are made to go, we call our breakfast "Grab and GO' for that reason. We hope that you will come back and visit us again after we have had our renovation so we can give you the Marriott experience you deserve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family stayed in a 2 bedroom suite Aug 9, 2013, checking out on Sat, Aug. 10. Check-in was great, nice young man at the counter! The room was larger than other 2 bedroom suites we've stayed in. The room was very clean, comfortable beds, large kitchen with full size stove, etc. Now the problem......at approx. 4:45 am on Sat morn, the fire alarms went off in every room for 10 min! People were coming out into the hallways, we didn't smell smoke, so we weren't sure what was up. I tried calling the front desk,no answer, my husband went down to the desk. The night manager couldn't be found! No fire dept. ever came, the manager stayed hidden away, we tried four times to find out what went wrong.....nothing. That's where my issue comes. I realize accidents happen, maybe someone pulled the fire alarm, but I don't know. There was never a call to say "All is Ok", No sorry about the erroneous wake up call, nothing. We went down 4 times trying to find the guy and never could. So I don't think it's a problem with the hotel, but poor communication after an incident like this with the night manager. I wanted to get his name, but since we couldn't find him.... We were on the 2nd floor, with 4 grandkids, trying to get them up and out, for no reason. More than half the people just left. We travel a lot, and I have never had an experience like this before, and hope I never do again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda S
Hello my name is Kari Lewis and I am the General manager for the Towne Place suites in Knoxville. I want to start by apologizing to you and your family for first waking you up more than once due to a false alarm and to stand outside not knowing what to do or where to go must have been extremly frustrating. All Marriott hotels have specific instructions for our assciates on how to handle every type of emergency , and this information is gone over with our asscoiates during orientation. We have had two fire drills with our associates to assure each associate will know how to handle an emergency. The associate that was on duty is actually a member of our National Guard so its a little concerning that he did not follow our policies. I believe I have compensated you for your stay and I know it will not give back the sleep you lost but I want you to know I am sincerely sorry that you had unpleasant stay with us. I hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

The suite was a little small feeling for the money. Very clean and comfortable though. It's worth at least one night stay. Breakfast was the standard no tell motel. Not giving it a bad review just had better.

• Stayed July 2013
Kari L, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Knoxville Cedar Bluff, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We appreciate the excellent kudos for our fabulous team here at the Towneplace Suites in Knoxville. It was a pleasure to serve you. We hope to see you again in the very near future...
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have stayed here several times on business and leisure. This hotel offers excellent value for the price paid. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The hotel has 3 styles of rooms, including a 2 bedroom suite. There is the standard free continental breakfast, plus waffle irons to make fresh waffles.

The entire staff is very friendly and helpful.

I have 2 future stays booked for this fall.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms overlooking the pool. I like the view better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to send a kind note about our hotel. We appreciate feed back from our customers it really boosts our team to know they have done a great job?
Pearland, TX
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night with my family of four at this hotel. I was driving cross country and Knoxville was a convenient stop.
This is a no frills extended-stay type place, with simple decor, but it has everything you may need. Having a little kitchenette sure is very convenient even when staying one night.
The place was clean and well kept.
It has a nice little pool too.
But the MOST OUTSTANDING feature in this hotel is its very professional and courteous personnel. We actually left behind our iPhone and iPad chargers. We noticed this on our next stop in the afternoon of the day we had checked out. I called to let them know and within 10 minutes they called me to tell me they had it and would ship it home. I have to pay for the shipping but the fact that they found it and had the honesty to tell me surely stood out to me tremendously.
KUDOS to Marriott and their well trained team at the TownePlace in Knoxville Cedar Bluff. I'm very grateful and will continue to patronize Marriott Hotels.

• Stayed July 2013
It is always great when someone appreciates the great service you give and is willing to let others know. We really appreciate your family choosing our hotel as you passed thru our city. I am very proud of my entire staff and of couse I think they are the best in Knoxville. It is great to know that our bag it tag it program works for all lost and found items. We hope you and your family will stay with us again real soon.
Abingdon, Maryland
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel June 21 - 24, 2013. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly. We liked our hotel room with the exception of the location. Our room was right next to the elevator. Our bed actually was positioned on the same wall as the elevator. The first night we could hardly sleep, because the elevator kept making noises every few minutes. Upon check-out I did mention to the staff that they should move the bed to the other side of the room, in order to eliminate some of the vibrations and noise coming from the elevator. Additionally, the ceilings are not sound proof. On our second night I had to call the front desk to complain about the person staying above us. The person was walking heavily from one end of the room to the other for over an hour! So, night two we did not get a good nights sleep once again. The hotel offers a Breakfast, but it is "Grab-and-go" meaning, there is really no place to eat anything unless you go back to the room. The selection was not very large and two of the mornings we ended up just getting coffee and having breakfast on the road. We were dissapointed in the breakfast considering the amount of money we paid for the room! The two positives about the hotel are that they have a nice pool and you can also use the indoor pool at the adjacent Courtyard hotel. The location of the hotel was great. It was an easy drive from the main highway, a 10 minute drive to downtown, and close to many shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the top floor and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
First I want to thank you for giving us your feed back on the experience you had in one of our suites. I remember talking with you at check out about the position of the bed. Myself and our Maintenance Chief actually went to the room to see if we could simply move the bed but of course nothing is that simple anymore. We were not able to move the bed due to the entire resetting of the room would not work. I have however sent your concerns to Marriott in hopes they will keep this is mind when they design the newest Towneplaces to come in the future.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is located near a number of restaurants and a shopping centre.
It offers a very reasonably priced accommodation in a big room with kitchenette.
Breakfast is included in the price but there are no facilities to eat it so you will have to carry it to your room. Not terribly comfortable but one can live with this.
Staff is very friendly.
The only issue that I had is that the internet connection was not working, only WiFi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello and Thank you for sending in your review our hotel. Good news we are expanding our bandwidth . With the world today everyone has an electronic device even the kids. We realize if all 98 of our rooms have a guest that is on the internet it really slows down and causes everyone to have a poor experience. This will be our second update in two years,we are trying to keep up with the times.Also we will be renovating our lobby in the near future that will include seating in our lobby so everyone can sit and enjoy breakfast.