“Great food, many choices, low prices, quick lunch!”
Review of Kasumi & Thai Cafe

Kasumi & Thai Cafe
Ranked #383 of 1,179 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Thai
Knoxville, Tn
“Great food, many choices, low prices, quick lunch!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I have eaten here twice for lunch. It's very cheap and quick at lunch time! The first time we tried the Thai offerings and the second time we went with the Japanese hibachi dishes. Both times were delicious! The service is quick and friendly and we've been very impressed. We've also never had to wait, but that doesn't mean they don't do good business, they just have ample table space for everyone. The decor is very nice and they have tvs scattered around too. I don't remember what my husband had, but I had the Chicken Massamun with white rice and the Ribeye Hibachi and they were both very good. The massamun serving seemed small at first, but it ended up being the perfect lunch serving. We'll definitely be back many times!

• Visited November 2012

Knoxville, Tennessee
“The best keeps getting better!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have been eating at Kasumi for years and even though I moved from Farragut to N. Knoxville a couple of years ago, this is still one of my favorite sushi / Thai restaurants. Wednesday nights are half price sushi and they offer additional specials throughout the week. Hungry for lunch? They have more than you should probably eat in a well balanced lunch special with soup, cucumber salad, hibachi chicken, and a chicken tempura roll for $6.
Most recently, they have acquired the space next door to the original Kasumi restaurant and now offer a larger menu of Thai and Chinese cuisine. The food is quickly prepared, delicious, and very inexpensive. I'm enjoying the drunken noodle right now as I write this review.
You can't ask for a friendlier staff, and the wait times are usually less than similar restaurants. Some of my co-workers prefer Kabuki in Turkey Creek for their artistic sushi presentation, but when it comes to taste and quality, I don't see much difference between the two. You certainly get more for your money at Kasumi.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Sam G
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Yummy little gem tucked away in a strip mall!”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This little gem of a restaurant, tucked away in a Farragut strip mall, has been around in one form or another for awhile. Formerly the Kasumi Japanese Grill, the owners knocked out a wall, took over the space next door and changed up its' menu to include Thai and Chinese food, proclaimed a Grand Opening and voila ... Kasumi and Thai Cafe.

For the Japanese fare, they have an authentic Japanese sushi chef; for the Chinese food, they have an authentic Chinese chef; for the Thai, well let's just say it's pretty darn good no matter who's cooking.

The menu and pricing varies based upon whether it's lunch or dinner. Either way, the prices are extremely reasonable, the food amounts generous and the taste is outstanding!

On our most recent visit (May 2012) I had the General Tsao Chicken and my wife had the Kung pao chicken. We had not had either of these entrees at this restaurant, so we asked if we might have a small ramekin of each of the sauces before ordering. Our waitress was eager to please us and brought the sauces out, both of which were so delightful, they could be consumed as soup.

Both entrees arrived and were presented nicely, steaming hot, and colorful. The chicken was succulent and the vegetables au dente. We chose fried rice which was tasty, but mildly disappointing because it was just rice -- no peas, corn, peppers or other colorful condiments mixed in with it.

The inside atmosphere is inviting with lots of exposed hardwood and comfortable chairs or booths. The bathrooms are pristine.

They currently do not yet have their liquor license, so soft drinks, water and tea are all that can be imbibed.

Nice place, nice people, wonderful food, fabulous prices!

• Visited May 2012
“Great find off the HEY in Tennessee”
Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Really great food and awesome atmosphere. The gentleman (we found out is native of Japan) who took our order was very friendly and suggestive (be prepared for that)...and of course his suggestions were good. Its your typical Japanese type grill (hibachi) but of much better quality than most places. I had the pot stickers (sauce was excellent) and spring rolls (as suggested by our server) with a delicious sauce. Service was prompt (although we were the only guests there). Only complaint would be the table was a bit sticky and the soy sauce containers had been wiped (and you could tell by the residue left behind). Don't let that deter you by some of the better Japanese grill type food I've had in a while.

TN
“Take-out so far, great Thai”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I happened on the expanded Katsumi Japanese restaurant just as the Thai offerings started.
I had had a Japanese dish in the past that was acceptable.
I talked with the Thai lady cook and she seemed really pleased with my past experiences with good Thai restaurants in San Antonio, Ft. Worth and Houston Texas.
I have ordered Waterfall Beef (Nuer Nam Tok) "salad" several times and it has been excellent every time. I tried the Larb Chicken which is similar and found it very good but not as good as the thin-sliced steak strips.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the Pad Thai--a true reliable, standby each time I have ordered it. My wife feels there is something missing, perhaps lemon grass or insuffiecient peanuts in the dish.
I have ordered the Thai house fried rice which is good but not as good as many other Thai or Vietnamese restaurants I have eaten at.
I almost docked a star due to some "lost in translation" inaccuracies of some orders but prefer to be generous with the rating since the Thai food has been very good.

• Visited April 2012