“I trusted you guys”

WokChow Fire Seared Asian
Ranked #380 of 1,165 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: WokChow Fire Seared Asian is Knoxville’s newest place to enjoy tantalizing Asian cuisine. The food comes fast and fresh, and with entrees $8.95 or less the value is as good as the taste. We offer take out and delivery, or enjoy your favorite beverage with your meal in our elegant dining room. Sushi is offered daily after five, with a menu of 39 items ranging in price from 3-8.50! We will serve daily lunch specials, creative menu items, and a dynamic beer and wine selection. Don't forget Wednesday is 1/2 price bottled wine night, and when you visit be sure to join our frequent diner club for free food opportunities.We hope to see you soon!
“I trusted you guys”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I recently tried WokChow based on its generally positive reviews and convenient location. My boyfriend and I went for lunch and although the restaurant was clean and the atmosphere was pleasant, the food just wasn't anything to rave about. We started with an order of potstickers, which I hear, tasted fine. I ordered the "Vegetable Feast" and my boyfriend ordered "Lo Mein with Beef." My food was just alright- the quality was fine but it had an unfamiliar aftertaste of sorts. His, was not very good at all. He said that his beef tasted old and his lo mein had a weird flavor that permeated the whole dish. And he knows the subtle taste of less than fresh beef...the guy is a self proclaimed cow connoisseur. Unfortunately, he has the same "old tasting beef" complaint more than a few times since we moved to Knoxville from out west, and we can't figure out why it seems to be a local issue with many restaurants. If you do want to give this place a try and you go for lunch, definitely get the lunch portion. It seems to be a much better value. Also, if I remember correctly, it was cheaper to buy sodas instead of water. I don't like that kind of arm twisting.

• Visited November 2013

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great Food, Fair Prices and Upscale decor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We really like Wok Chow! The prices are great. I dont think anything on the menu is over $10. Wok Chow has counter service, but the decor reflects that of an upscale restaurant!

• Visited June 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Fantastic! Great atmosphere for a take-away restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Fantastic. I had a couple of coupons in the lifestyle book and had recommendations from friends so decided to try it. I was so impressed that I thanked the owner himself. I got Pad Thai - with my fussy changes, (no carrots, add pineapple and no peanuts) it was great! Wonderfully flavourful, just the right spice and very hot when it arrived! I also had enough leftovers for my lunch the next day! Also the spring rolls which were so hot when they got there we had to leave them to cool! This would be great if we were taking it home since they would surely still be hot when we got there! We ate in since the restaurant was beautiful, wonderful atmosphere for a take-away place. We were served very quickly and had staff check on our meal and our plates cleared. I am very impressed. I have eaten there since and I will definitely be eating there again.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Lizzie R
Detroit, Michigan
“This isn't Asian food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

For those who like PF Changs, this is a good place. For those who like Asian food, this is not (that's a dig at PF Changs, which is actually not Chinese food, if you were wondering). The atmosphere, the decor, the staff, the overall ambiance is very good. But the food was terrible. We ordered three dishes, the mongolian beef was ok, the curry was too salty and not very curryish, the Singapore noodles was not edible - it was first off not Singapore noodles as you would get at every other place - just wrong - but worse, it was so salty, it was not edible. We would up rinsing the noodles with hot water and turned it into a soup noodle. So the poor review is a nod to the atmosphere otherwise it would be terrible.

• Visited February 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Very disappointed in food and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Went in Friday night and took forever to get the food though it's not busy. They claimed that the sushi takes time to prepare but it tasted terrible with Caucasian chef preparing them. Ordered Drunken noodle with Chicken but was given beef instead. it's so dark inside I could not see what was on my plate and they were salty!! Have to go back to use my groupon since they won't honor it that night due to it's for 4 persons but our kids are in PNO program. Hope the next visit is not this bad:-)

• Visited February 2013
Frank J, Manager at WokChow Fire Seared Asian, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I remember this visit. Thank you for dining at WokChow. Normally we do not respond to negative reviews online, allowing the positive ones to shine thru, however we felt there were some inaccuracies that we wanted to correct. We ran a one time Groupon deal that this guest took advantage of. Offered in a dinner for 2 or 4 package depending on which one was purchased. This guest purchased a Groupon for four guests, but only arrived with two. They mentioned their children were in a special program, but they were not with them. We did not want to give four guests worth of food to two people, so we did honor the Groupon by allowing them to use half this visit, and the other half another time. That was the guests idea and we were happy to agree. Unfortunately this started the dining experience on the wrong foot, and I'm afraid we couldn't recover in their eyes. They ordered sushi and two entrees. We were preparing the sushi first as an appetizer, and the guest walked up to the kitchen and asked where the food was. We were putting the finishing touches on the sushi and the ticket time was only 9 minutes. Sushi does take longer than our regular stir fry, but 9 minutes is well within our timing standards.
We immediately bumped up their entrees and sent them out soon after.

They are correct in that we have a caucasion sushi chef. We also have two hispanic ones. We have been open two years and we have not specifically advertised for Asian Chefs. It turns out that over the span of time we have been open, we have only had one Asian Chef apply. His availability was not consistent with the restaurant's needs so we had to pass on him. We are thinking about producing a sign that says "Asian people apply here", but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I knew they were upset because of the groupon and had my team check on them and monitor their experience closely. There was no mention then of the beef or salty issues.

We look forward to the next visit and will work just as hard as usual to provide a fantastic dining experience.

Been to WokChow Fire Seared Asian? Share your experiences!