“Spectacular talent in a classic venue”

Clarence Brown Theatre
Ranked #12 of 201 things to do in Knoxville
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The CBT is a gem for the Knoxville area. As a LORT theatre, it maintains extraordinarily high production values. Set design is always a thing of beauty--I have probably seen close to 100 shows and am continually amazed at the creativity in making the set fit the show (notables: Amadeus, Streetcar Named Desire, Tommy, Man of La Mancha, and the perennial favorite, Christmas Carol).

What really makes a great theatre is the people involved. As a teaching theatre, the CBT uses the talents and passion of the superb faculty in the Department of Theatre at the University of Tennessee, along with wonderful graduate and undergraduate students. There are typically some professionals who are brought in as well. This is a place that knows how to do it right, and does so with production values that rival Broadway at a fraction of the cost. If you haven't been there, go! It is a wonderful experience and every season brings a remarkably rich fabric of new plays to see.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Saw Spamalot this week, and loved it! Every element was spot on, from the music and signing, dancing, the set, costumes, you name it. I've been wanting to see this for years now, and always miss the chance - so glad we finally did! Congratulations to everyone involved in this product, you all did a fantastic job, we appreciate your hard work in bringing Spamalot to life here in Knoxville!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

As someone who travels to NYC often to catch world-class theater, my tastes can be quite selective and appreciative of quality theater. Catching the recent version of CBT's Spamalot made me grateful that I live in a university city with these sorts of advantages. We are season ticket holders and continue to be impressed with each production. We particularly appreciate the "talk back" sessions after a performance.

Not only does CBT bring in Equity actors from other major metro areas, but it continues to provide a real-world learning environment for UT students. The quality for the price and experience is unbeatable.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was my first experience at Clarence Brown Theatre and I was very impressed. The production value was excellent and the cast was incredible. The show itself was one of the best I've seen. Excellent job all around.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

An amazing story of war from an angle most of us had no idea existed! I can't think of anything they crew didn't do that wasn't amazing. The actors were top-notch and did a wonderful job with the accents. The set design was above average as was the direction. I'm new to TN and this was the first play I'd seen. If this is the best TN has to offer, I've it pay dirt!

Thank you for magnificent performance!
Ted Green