“Promises a lot, but doesn't deliver”

Cru Bistro and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Cru Bistro and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #345 of 1,219 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2013

First, it should be noted that this restaurant has two locations: one in the irritating strip-mall suburbs of far West Knoxville and one in the beautifully revitalized Downtown. My comments are on the Downtown location.

After having been there on three separate occasions since it opened, I have to say I am disappointed, but for reasons which should be fixable by the management. I really had high hopes for this restaurant due to its location in the gorgeously restored 100 block of Gay Street. And, the interior decor was very beautifully done; it is warm, comfortable, and inviting.

The menu itself is varied and preparation is, in fact, above average. So, how could it go wrong? In a word - staff attitude. You can see it in the way the service staff conducts themselves, but this sort of thing clearly stems from the management. The waiters seem to make value judgements on tables--if the table doesn't order a lot or is slow in deciding, the service declines markedly and becomes brusque. On my second visit, I was completely, and obviously, ignored while sitting at the bar waiting for my table (which was 35 minutes late even though I had a reservation).

Although the tableware is very solid and attractive, plating is horribly unartistic. An expensive entree thrown into the middle of a damp plate detracts badly from the dining experience.

Overall, the management needs to decide what kind of restaurant they are and want to be. Merely having above average food won't do it if diners are made to feel uncomfortable by the staff. A restaurant that has so much otherwise going for it, should be a better experience.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We went in to try something new during our stop in Knoxville, wine was good- but pricey. The crab bruschetta was good, so we thought the dinners would be as well, but we were wrong. Very small meals, too expensive for just ok tasting food. Service was good, but def would not recommend to anyone

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a wine bar and tapas restaurant in the west Knoxville area called Turkey Creek. It is not in downtown Knoxville.

We had reservations for Valentines day. The service was great and the food was tasty. I would recommend this to anyone in the area, not for kids though.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I have gone here about 4 times. We've eaten here alone and with friends and we are always taken care of with competance and kindness. The food is good (we're vegetarians and there are pretty good options!), the drinks are great, ambiance is nice, servers are very friendly and try hard to please. The prices are very good for the quality and ambiance of the place. We went there for a bourbon tasting once and had a blast. Highly recommended. Today, we had mushrooms stuffed with quinoa and sweet chile sauce that was SO GOOD. Our omnivore friends had a bacon pizza, so there really is something for everyone. Try this place!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

As I walked through the front door I was impressed by the design of the foyer and the upscale look of the restaurant. Enjoyed the food but the quantities were rather skimpy. The food prices were reasonable but if you don't want to leave hungry you best order more that just an entree. Service left a lot to be desired. Wait staff seemed lackadaisical.