“Just what we were looking for...”
Review of Maplehurst Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Knoxville
Maplehurst Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Knoxville B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I needed a weekend to ourselves, and she found the Maplehurst online. We booked it, very excited about our trip.

We arrived much later than we expected but had no problems getting in. Our room was huge (#5). It gave us plenty of room to sit and just relax, and the bed was extremely comfortable.

I've read through the other reviews on here, and a lot of people speak of the musty smell, mold everywhere, stained linens, cracked bathtubs - we got none of that. We did have the sunken tub and mirrored walls, but everything was in fine shape. The linens were fine, fresh and clean-smelling.

It's convenient to I-40, and for the price you just can't beat it. We'd recommend this place to anyone, and definitely plan on returning again and again.

Room Tip: If it's available, opt for the penthouse!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Maplehurst Inn

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We visited the Inn mid-year 2013 and the rooms are in dire need of re-design help and interior design upgrades. The place has plenty of potential but suffers from lack of funds to make it a facility I would consider visiting again.

The bed linens were old and stained and the sunken and cracked bathtub, with mirrored walls, was atrocious.

Breakfast was mediocre at best, and there wasn't enough of the meal prepared for the 6 of us at the breakfast table to have a decent portion. Good thing we had snacks in the car.

1  Thank Hotrod_TN
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I must say I have experienced bed & breakfast before & this was just wayyyyyy under par. I cannot stress enough. First when we got there no one was there to check us in. Turns out there was a misunderstanding with me calling in 4 days prior informing them that I wasn't going to be checking in on Friday but would now be checking in on Saturday. When you first walk in it smells stale & moldy. Everything in this location needs to be cleaned & stemmed. The owner Sonny came when I called him once no one appeared per instructions given on door. He was very apologetic & tried to accommodate us with a room. After we return to the room from being out all day prepare to get into bed & the sheets were dirty with hair & specks of something. Called Robin, whom I had not met but she texted me earlier asking what time did I want breakfast. Could never get on the internet thru wifi. Robin did try to accommodate us by sending us to another room which has a small flaw, but I was hesitant about this room because upon arrival room 1 when we first arrived the door was open to this room bed was unmade, so I thought maybe someone was staying there. Well, when I called Robin about the room she instructed me on where to get the key to the new room #1. Pull sheets back looks like same sheets I saw on bed when we first arrived. Fortunately while on the phone with Robin there was an issue with this room as well, she said she would call us back. She stated there was someone on the property that she be there to assist us however no one ever came. She was apologetic & when she called back instructed us to go the penthouse. That room she stated should have no problems. We moved again & this was better, then the previous however after all the previous issues, no one was around & that made me feel very uncomfortable that no owner or worker was on the property. I'm use to bed & breakfast having someone stay on the property. Someone may have come along later but as far as I know when I went to bed there was no one there to help us. Morning comes & we meet Todd who was very nice & he tells us that he will be fixing our breakfast for us which consist of pork sausage, bacon & eggs. I can't eat pork. We were introduced to cereal, instant oatmeal, bread that we can toast ourselves things like that. Previous bed & breakfast that I have stayed in fix a personal sophisticated breakfast. A special meal that I wouldn't fix at home. Not things I will just put together at home. Cereal, toast, oatmeal & eggs. That really disappointed me to no end. Sad to say as nice as Sonny & Todd were & Robin tried to accommodate us over the phone, I will not be returning nor recommending this place to anyone.

2  Thank Ready2GoGa
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here 3 times from March - May. We were in a different room each visit so I feel like I can give a fair review. The prices were very reasonable and I could bring my dog - which was a HUGE plus. I have two students at UT and I really wanted this to be my home away from home. Every time I went, I thought "next time will be better". Unfortunately that never happened. Every time I made a reservation I did not end up in the room I had reserved. Actually, I was lucky if I even had a reservation when I arrived even though I always called 2 days prior to confirm. Check in was also never smooth - there was never anyone there to check me in. I eventually knew where the keys were kept and just picked a room and left them a note. Once I was given a key to a room that was occupied! I never stayed in a room that didn't have at least 1 thing needing repair. The 1st room I stayed in, the toilet would not flush the entire weekend, 2nd room water leaked from the toilet the entire weekend, 3rd room had an open hole in the ceiling/window arch with something hanging out of the hole. That really creaped me out! I agree about the breakfast comments - breakfast is very iffy. I never had breakfast there. I actually got locked out one night because there is a "trick" to unlocking the outside door that no one made me aware of. My second visit, Robin was out of town and a friend was helping run the Inn for the weekend. That was my most enjoyable visit. He was a delight, they should hire him! The Inn is in a great location but that just wasn't enough for me to continue staying there. I truly wish things had worked out differently.

Room Tip: I was given a tour and the suite on the top floor seems to be the nicest room. Good luck!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
tennesseen, Owner at Maplehurst Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Our normal check-in times are 3-6 PM. when we have someone on duty to check our guests in. We ask our guests to please let us know and call ahead if outside these hours so we can have someone there on arrival to check them in as we on duty at all hours. I am sorry we failed to communicate that to our guest.

You must turn the front door key all the way to the left and we failed to properly inform our guest as we should have for which I am sorry we didn't do our job.

We try and make repairs ASAP and as soon as we become aware that we have a problem as I am aware of how aggravating a leaky flapper valve can be.

Please let us know if we have a problem and we will do our best to take care of it as I know we are nowhere near perfect but we try hard to make our guests happy.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This place is in real disrepair -- Lots of mold, outlets not working, door locks not working, shower broken, AC unit from room above leaking through ceiling... The "breakfast" is a joke. You are lucky if they show up. Robin (one of the caretakers) can be quite rude when she shows up half awake in her PJs to cook breakfast in the creepy, dirty, bug infested kitchen/dining dungeon. We decided to cut our trip short. Felt like we were in paradise when we stayed at a Holiday Inn on the way home. Would not recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Splitends14

It seems like we really screwed up with this guest. We make repairs as soon as we become aware of them.

We think we do a pretty good job in the breakfast area with a Southern egg, sausage, cheese casserole or individual servings of ham and eggs or sausage and eggs for our main dish. We also have fruits, pastries, cereal, coffee, teas, fruit juices, and hot chocolate. We include free parking, free wifi, free snacks 24 hours a day, and of course a free breakfast.

Robin has admitted that she has worn her work out clothes when serving breakfast which must be where the guest thought she was wearing PJ's, It won't happen again ! I must disagree with the assessment of the kitchen as our scores from the health dept (twice a year unannounced) have given us scores from a low of 84 up to a high of 93 over the 19 years we have been in business. We try to do a good job but it is obvious that we need to try harder.

We get over 800 guests per year with about 30-35% repeat customers who say we have the best location and prices in downtown Knoxville. We try to correct any problems our guests have ASAP after we become aware of the problem. Please let us know if you have a problem and we will do our darndest to make you a satisfied customer.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Wow! Can't say enough good about my experience at Maplehurst Inn. First time I called, it was to rearrange our travel, change rooms, change when I'd arrive (sooner rather than later) and say I'd be arriving late. Robin was so nice and answered each call and question very professionally. Even when I had to call her again at 11 pm to get access to my room. She returned early the next day to prepare my breakfast and coffee and in the end, she even drove me to my conference center the last morning so I wouldn't be late. I left my car parked at the Inn until early afternoon for no extra charge or concern. The house is lovely and Sonny was very charming when I finally met him on the last day. I feel like we have a home now, in Knoxville!!

Room Tip: I didn't see a bad room in the house....
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2013

After the good reviews on here, a colleague and I decided to book rooms at the Maplehurst as we were in Knoxville for a week long convention. I'd seen the website, and thought it looked quite a kooky, interesting place. I'd spoken to one of the owners, Sonny, on the phone to make my booking, and he was really friendly and helpful and even offered to pick us up from the airport.

Unfortunately things took a turn for the worse once we'd arrived. As the previous reviewer (Kimberly M) stated, the place was probably nice once, but needs a lot of doing up and we rarely saw any members of staff in the B&B.

I had room 1, which is right next to the front door. The room was nice enough, and clean, but I was informed there was no spare room key so I could not have room service (e.g. my sheets and towels changing) unless I left my key with the people running the hotel (who were never there). There were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, and not even cups of glasses for if I wanted a drink of water. The bathroom was very old fashioned and some of the wallpaper was peeling. Most of these are minor, superficial concerns, so I let them slide. The bed was massive and very comfy, and I never felt like the room was actually bad or unclean.

Unfortunately, my colleague had no such luck. He stayed in room 6, which was upstairs. I would not recommend this room. The toilet was broken the entire time we were there. The shower head was on a very short length of hose, so he had to sit down in the bath to have a shower. There was also no shower curtain around the bath - considering the bathroom and bedroom are all in one, this is a bit of an oversight. On the 4th night of our stay there was a huge thunderstorm and part of the ceiling in room 6 fell in. My colleague awoke to water pouring through the ceiling into the TV. The next day, he reported what had happened. When we arrived back at the hotel in the evening nothing had been done to the ceiling, the TV had been replaced, and a doily had been put over the water damaged areas on the wooden furniture. No formal apology was given for this, he was not offered a different room and no discount given on the bill. This room cost $99 plus tax.

The breakfasts were also strange. Some mornings we'd turn up and there would be a decent selection of fresh fruit and a very random selection of other items. Donuts, processed white bread, cereal and a weird meaty/eggy casserole all seemed to be order of the day. Other mornings the lights wouldn't even be switched on and there'd be old food and coffee left out from the day before. There was no breakfast set up at all at the weekend. There was no sign of the enormous fresh juice and muffin selection touted on the B&B's website. Coffee and tea were sometime available, if there was anyone there making breakfast. Robin did her best with the sausage and eggs but I always felt like breakfast was a massive afterthought. There was so little thought put into how breakfast was arranged, I know other guests had taken to just helping themselves to the contents of the fridge!

So, to summarise. The hotel is nice in many respects, but is clearly a bit dilapidated in parts. My room was comfortable, but other rooms are clearly not fit for guests. Don't expect too much from breakfast. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people, mainly for the fact that any stay there is going to be a bit of an unknown quantity. Which is a shame, because with a bit of care, effort and a few repairs and decorating, this could be a really great hotel. I'm very sorry that it isn't at the moment.

Room Tip: Really do avoid room 6.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business