“Take your air freshener and a mask”

Extended Stay America - Knoxville - West Hills
Ranked #54 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Easily one of the most disgusting hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. The sub-basement "floor" they put me in reeked of cigarette smoke so badly my eyes burned the entire stay. It's ridiculously overpriced. The room was dark and dirty, the carpet stained. The TV channel selection was minimal. Only go here if your desperate. But fair warning -- it looks okay from the outside, so watch out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jo O
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Knoxville - West Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The level of cleanliness and odor in your room that you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is focusing on improving our cleaning procedures and inspection processes moving forward.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. I hope that you will contact me directly, at kwh@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We just moved from Las Vegas to Knoxville, TN and with no place to live. We stayed at extended stay -west hills, they where great. They made my move,a lot less stressful, this place is great. Pet friendly, it feels like home and the staff is awesome.

Room Tip: If you book on Priceline and they don't let you pick how many beds you want, make sure you call...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Knoxville - West Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. Congratulations on your big move! I am so thrilled that we were able to make this transition for you a little easier. We hope you enjoy your new home and look forward to welcoming you back in the future, should you need a place to stay again.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I came in late and was a grump from long drive but when Brittany said good evening and smiled. Her great smile put me in a good mood. From than it was a great time. The room was the best Ive had at extended stay it even had a stove . No bugs no smell just great. I travel for my work and stay mostly at this chain of Hotels. The staff here made me feel right at home. Always a good morning or good evening. Since I'm away from home so much its nice to feel at home here. Stephanie is great young lady she will answer all your questions and tell you of good places to eat. Didier and Calley and Ms Dee are great to. This is the best staff I have ever met. You are close to the mall one block. I will be coming back for vacation and I hope all the same staff is here. My only bad was the general manager does not greet you coming or going I know she could be busy but this is a hospitality job.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RickC180
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Knoxville - West Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for the kind comments about our staff, we truly have a hardworking, dedicated team.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Hotel is Decent, but not what i was expecting.... the hall way smells and not sure what of.... The room was just okay with some cleanliness issues..... but over all it was just okay and not great....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jatlantagirl
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Knoxville - West Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. To prevent this from happening again, my team has addressed the cleanliness issue and relieved the halls of any odor.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at kwh@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Extended Stay in Knoxville-West Hill (3/3/13). I was a little shocked at check-in because I had to dial "0" on the house phone to get an attendant for check-in. While waiting, I was wondering what was going to be the process. The attendant was doing rounds and was wearing a headset, which relaxed me and calmed my thoughts. I gave her my ID and she pulled my reservation sheet out and checked me in without delay. She gave me a food delivery list, hotel info sheet, my room key, a choice of snacks, and the internet code. My room was on the first living area (second floor), the first floor/split level is the hotel entrance. My room was lovely, the decor was modern and looked like something I would do myself, not out-dated. I loved the huge walk-in closet, the desk/table area, and the awesome recliner. Everything was so clean and neat. I could not believe they had beautiful white drapes and a matching bed comforter. The room looked like a display or a model home. My stay was brief (7pm-10a) but I did get to enjoy the real caffeinated coffee and the take and go breakfast (variety of fruits, cereals, muffins, hot beverages, and milk and juice) offered by the chain. Check-out was super quick and easy. This location does not have an elevator (not good for disabled individuals).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I picked it because of the high TA rating. Wrong choice. Checked in late into this hotel. Had to use their 'phone' outside of the hotel to call someone to wake up to check in. Of course, doing so meant I got to stand in the freezing cold and rain until they came.

When I first walked into my non-smoking room (after lugging my luggage up stairs as an elevator does not exist), the brick wall of the stench of smoke hit my face. It was late, so I told myself to suck it up and just go to bed.

The room is from the 80's (see my photos). Kitchen and bath were SO in need of renovation. I didn't touch the recliner or desk out of fear. The bathroom, although clean enough, was outdated. When I jumped in the shower, I noticed the bottom of my feet was pitch black from dirt from the room carpet. Gross!!!

Of course, no shampoo or other amenities (except for a cheap small bar of soap), so beware.

The BEST (aka worst) part of my stay was that when I pulled my sheets back on the bed (after getting late of course), there were blood stains on the bed sheets. Absolutely gross, but nothing I could do that late (especially when no one was around). Luckily it was on one side of the bed, so I stuck to the other side and hoped I wouldn't roll into it while sleeping. Nevertheless, it was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as ever staying here again.

Only good part - free coffee in the morning. The rest of the 'breakfast'' consists of instant oatmeal, muffins, or breakfast bars. Luckily there are plenty of restaurants and fast food places to make up for it.

Go someplace else. I don't know why this place has a high review.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank firebirdgirl
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is my 3rd yr. extended stay at Extended Stay America, I have come down from RI for 3 months for pleasure every yr., I am 74 yrs and retired, I attend allot of the UT Sports games both men's & Lady's & enjoy touring this State, in 2011 I stayed in an apt in Oak Ridge & found it very expensive, and not safe for me as I travel alone, my friends recommended that I check with one of the hotels that take reservations for 3 months stay, and recommended this one, as it is close to shopping and sports venues..I chose this one as it doesn't enter from the outside which gave me a sense of security. I have not had any problems with staff, Didier who is the Manager and his staff are very friendly and will go out of their way to make my stay as comfortable and pleasant as they can. I was pleased to see the flat screen TV when I arrived..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo