Extended Stay America - Knoxville - West Hills
Ranked #62 of 86 Hotels in Knoxville
Memphis
“Great Stay”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Extended Stay in Knoxville-West Hill (3/3/13). I was a little shocked at check-in because I had to dial "0" on the house phone to get an attendant for check-in. While waiting, I was wondering what was going to be the process. The attendant was doing rounds and was wearing a headset, which relaxed me and calmed my thoughts. I gave her my ID and she pulled my reservation sheet out and checked me in without delay. She gave me a food delivery list, hotel info sheet, my room key, a choice of snacks, and the internet code. My room was on the first living area (second floor), the first floor/split level is the hotel entrance. My room was lovely, the decor was modern and looked like something I would do myself, not out-dated. I loved the huge walk-in closet, the desk/table area, and the awesome recliner. Everything was so clean and neat. I could not believe they had beautiful white drapes and a matching bed comforter. The room looked like a display or a model home. My stay was brief (7pm-10a) but I did get to enjoy the real caffeinated coffee and the take and go breakfast (variety of fruits, cereals, muffins, hot beverages, and milk and juice) offered by the chain. Check-out was super quick and easy. This location does not have an elevator (not good for disabled individuals).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I picked it because of the high TA rating. Wrong choice. Checked in late into this hotel. Had to use their 'phone' outside of the hotel to call someone to wake up to check in. Of course, doing so meant I got to stand in the freezing cold and rain until they came.

When I first walked into my non-smoking room (after lugging my luggage up stairs as an elevator does not exist), the brick wall of the stench of smoke hit my face. It was late, so I told myself to suck it up and just go to bed.

The room is from the 80's (see my photos). Kitchen and bath were SO in need of renovation. I didn't touch the recliner or desk out of fear. The bathroom, although clean enough, was outdated. When I jumped in the shower, I noticed the bottom of my feet was pitch black from dirt from the room carpet. Gross!!!

Of course, no shampoo or other amenities (except for a cheap small bar of soap), so beware.

The BEST (aka worst) part of my stay was that when I pulled my sheets back on the bed (after getting late of course), there were blood stains on the bed sheets. Absolutely gross, but nothing I could do that late (especially when no one was around). Luckily it was on one side of the bed, so I stuck to the other side and hoped I wouldn't roll into it while sleeping. Nevertheless, it was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as ever staying here again.

Only good part - free coffee in the morning. The rest of the 'breakfast'' consists of instant oatmeal, muffins, or breakfast bars. Luckily there are plenty of restaurants and fast food places to make up for it.

Go someplace else. I don't know why this place has a high review.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank firebirdgirl
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is my 3rd yr. extended stay at Extended Stay America, I have come down from RI for 3 months for pleasure every yr., I am 74 yrs and retired, I attend allot of the UT Sports games both men's & Lady's & enjoy touring this State, in 2011 I stayed in an apt in Oak Ridge & found it very expensive, and not safe for me as I travel alone, my friends recommended that I check with one of the hotels that take reservations for 3 months stay, and recommended this one, as it is close to shopping and sports venues..I chose this one as it doesn't enter from the outside which gave me a sense of security. I have not had any problems with staff, Didier who is the Manager and his staff are very friendly and will go out of their way to make my stay as comfortable and pleasant as they can. I was pleased to see the flat screen TV when I arrived..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank dot b
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed at the West Hills Extended Stay in Knoxville for 3 months while moving. The staff were great and always ready to help. The rooom had a recliner which made me feel like I was home. Great flat screen HD TV and good internet connectivity. I would not have made it through the transition without such a great staff and ammenities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark S
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here three nights and we were very pleased. The room was clean and comfortable with a flat-screen TV and a recliner. The bed was just the right firmness for both of us. We appreciated and used the kitchen microwave and refrigerator. If you don't mind not having daily housekeeping service or little things like shampoo provided, this is an excellent value for the price. The area is good with lots of restaurants, a Trader Joe's nearby, and a shopping mall a short distance away. We have no complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Senatobia, Mississippi
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I must admit that I was weary about staying here after reading the previous (and somewhat mixed) reviews. I am a travel RN and this hotel was verbally recommended by another nurse who was also travelling to the area. My room was extremely clean overall. Granted the bedding, television, and decor had been updated to the modern scheme, but the furniture and kitchen appliances were old, but in good shape and working condition. About an hour after I checked in, the front desk called to make sure my room was what I had expected which is something that has not happened at other, "nicer," establishments that I have stayed and I was quite impressed. The only complaint would be the constant slamming of the doors by other guests, but it was not unbearable. The staff was extremely friendly and I will definitely stay here again. I am glad that I didn't solely rely on the negative reviews in this case.

Room Tip: If you ask for the AAA rate, they will give it to you. It's only a couple of dollars, but every...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The room itself was clean but the sofa looked so old & stained I would not sit on it. I placed a towel over the chair to sit on. The carpet and floors were clean and the room smelled clean but everything (other than the brand new TV) looked old and worn. We were placed at the end of a hall which made me feel a little unsafe since the back exit door was right beside our door. However, the hall, which had very dirty carpet and peeling paint, smelled so bad with cigarette smoke and other things that I cannot identify, I am glad I was at the end and did not have to walk down the hall. At check in the person working was having computer problems and could not run my credit card. He said he would slip the receipt under my door. I went out for the evening and when I came back the receipt was laying on my coffee table. I am not comfortable with someone coming in my room without my knowledge. On our first morning there, someone (I am assuming it was the cleaning person) unlocked my door at 7am and attempted to come in. Luckily we had the extra lock over the door and she was not able to completely open it. Also, 2 messages were left on the phone for my room from the front desk during my 2 day stay for someone - i assume the prior guest - that they had a package to pick up at the front desk. Did the employees not know who was staying in the room? On the surface, the room was clean but the furniture and hall way were so run down and dirty looking that I would never stay here again or recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Just don't
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family