“Average Hotel”

Ranked #52 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
“Average Hotel”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We paid $84 with our AAA discount. This hotel looks a bit aged. The staff was very nice and the breakfast was above average. We had a 2 queen bed room and it was a little cramped. The pool was just OK and could have used a cleaning. Overall, this was a good value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Laurel, MS
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I stayed at the Baymont Inn and Suites Knoxville West in June 2009 while attending a convention in Knoxville. The "sponsor" hotel in downtown Knoxville was booked and close hotels were outrageously priced, so I looked for a place to stay on the way into Knoxville. Sooooo glad I found the Baymont. It was my first time with this chain, and it was a delightful find. I was given a reference from one of the frequent stay programs; I wanted an affordable place to stay that was easy to find and would allow me to travel to and from downtown Knoxville easily. I booked through the site, and upon arrival, the clerk at the front desk allowed me to use their business center to confirm my reservation through internet services to make sure the location was correct as there is another Baymont Inn and Suites in Knoxville - very friendly and helpful at front desk. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to find a spacious room with king bed, (non-smoking) fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and free high speed Internet. The staff was pleasant and cheerful and even called to check and see if my room was okay once I was inside after 10 minutes. The continental breakfast was plentiful, and if you can't find anything you enjoy from the cereals (hot and cold) make-your-own waffles, biscuits and sausage gravy, fruit and yogurt, bagels and cream cheese, pastries, fresh fruit and other sundries, there is a Cracker Barrel right next door that you can walk to, which is also handy at the end of the day if you want to eat and not drive into town. There is also a Wild Wings restaurant (guess their specialty!) that you can walk to if interested for lunch or dinner. Staff was very friendly and helpful and I saw them recommend this place to a traveler with young children when it was past 9 and the Cracker Barrel was closed. Housekeeping was great and amenities were replenished in the room each day. I had to leave very early in the morning for another meeting in another state, so I asked for receipt when leaving. I was told that their system updates at midnight, so receipts could not be printed until after update. I went back in after packing the car and got receipt. Late night staff was apologetic for delay and helpful in getting receipt once update was finished. Besides friendly check-in staff, I greatly enjoyed the comfortable bed and quiet atmosphere. Also close to gigantic shopping mecca - just turn left at end of driveway and take next left and you are on the Kingston Pike and the Turkey Creek shopping center goes on for blocks - department stores and specialty stores and restaurants right there! GREAT resource! Great deals and good shopping without getting lost in Knoxville! Found a great Aveda spa - Natural Alternatives - HIGHLY recommend for a spa (aaaahhhhh) day - plus they have five locations to work you in for a great service! I have another meeting in Lenoir City in August and I will definitely return to the Baymond Inn and Suites West!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Thank RealG.R.I.T.S.
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Last night my wife and I stayed at the Baymont Inn & Suites in Knoxville. Pleasant on the phone and we use the Corporate Lodging Card when we book hotels. The rate they quoted was 39.00 for the night.

We checked in and the room is not what they advertise. No problem, it was comfy and we didn't complain. The problem happened at check out. When paying our bill, the boy at the desk told us our bill was 78.00 plus tax and 10.00 for our 15# dog. So with tax it was close to $100.00.

My wife was in shock. When asked for the breakdown, they said the room was 39.00 but there were 2 people in the room and so it was double that. Now in my book that's stealing.

So my wife asked what the walk in rate was and he told her 59.00 for two people. So she said then just switch us to the walk in rate and he started saying "You signed the contract."

All the desk guy could say is, "You signed the contract." We tried to talk sense to him, but he just continued with his contract thing and hiding behind his religion and when he couldn't answer he just kept saying, "God Bless you and have a blessed day."

Now I'm a spiritual man. But when someone steals from me then it's hard to feel like I've been blessed. We also know that everything comes back 10 fold and it's a shame that they will have to pay it back in the long run.

So we turned it around and realized he was a master teacher and taught us to ask, "How much for two" when we make reservations. Everyone we have asked is baffled when we ask them that. No one has ever heard of doubling the price for two people in a hotel room.

So AVOID THIS SITUATION. DON'T STAY WITH THE THIEVES. I don't write reviews like this unless it's important to let other travelers know when things are "just not right."

It ended with him just blessing us and walking away. If I ran my business like this, I wouldn't have customers any more. Thanks for teaching us just how bad customer service can be and making me be aware of how I treat people. My business just got better.

Capt. Paul West

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank CaptPaulWest
illinois
Reviewed April 4, 2009

Overall dank, dark, smelly establishment. Reeks of old, and cover-up of odors.
Toilet took four flushes for three sheets of toilet paper; front desk said they were "Slow flushing", The entire building exhaust fan was enlcosed in a shaft in the restroom; I thought an 18-wheeler was running in our room the entire stay. The television was from the 1990's and the color was horrible. Two bars of soap for two people, burned hole in the non-smoking room carpet , hair in the "clean" sheets, a hole in the sheet, black particles in the breakfast drinking water pitcher and coming from the bathtub faucet, pillows were horrible. The longest night of my life. I really thought about sleeping in my car in the parking lot.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank travltime
Upstate NY
Reviewed April 1, 2009

I stayed at this hotel and was greeted by a dead bedbug lying on the very center of my pillow, however I did not wake up with bite marks the next day. We had a suite. My daughter slept on the couch in the sitting room and woke up with bites all over her. I have unfortunately had both bedbug and flea bites in my life, and these looked more like fleabites because they did not go in a row, they were all over her randomly. The next night, we were moved to another room, not because we complained but because they needed the suite for someone else who booked ahead of us. This room had two queen size beds and one very wet floor. The carpeting was water soaked and squishy half way out into the room. You couldn't get into the bed closest to the outside wall without walking through the puddle in the carpet, so as gracefully as we could, we would climb or step from one bed to the other to get in or out of the bed furthest from the entrance and closest to the outside wall. I told the front office staff about it because I didn't know where the water was coming from. (Stupid me, I thought there was a plumbing leak because the puddle was so big.) They said, "Oh yes, we know about it, it's just a liitle condensate from the air conditioner." A "little" condensate? This was a puddle spreading halfway across the room. Since it was obvious that they weren't going to do anything about it and I was staying several days, I decided to turn the air conditioner off during the day and only use when I was sleeping. I was in that hot hotel room often during daytime. Over the next few days, the puddle got somewhat smaller, to about a quarter of the room, but at least at that point we could walk between the two beds. I have to go back to Knoxville again soon and I wanted to make SURE I didn't rebook the same hotel so I've read every description until I found that same hotel. It's right next door to the Cracker Barrel off of Campbell Station Road. The breakfast is nice at the Baymont, though. Yogurt, bananas, make your own waffles.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank upstny
South Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2008

My husband and i stayed for 2 nights.The lobby was nice and clean.The staff was very helpful and friendly.Our room was nice and large also very clean.We had breakfast the last morning we were there,all the tables in the breakfast room were full so they opened the banquet room for us, again very friendly staff ! Very nice and safe location.Would stay again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stopped at the Baymont after a long day of driving. We did not have a reservation. Upon entering the lobby to reserve a room I could smell that the had smoking rooms. The person behind the counter was very friendly and booked us a room on the 3rd floor, as far away from the smoking rooms as possible. Our room was great. No hint of smoke. The AC was fine. It kept the room cold and did not smell musty. The room was clean and the beds were soft. One strange thing about the room was that the "heavy" curtains were not made to shut. Only the "light" curtains could shut. This let a lot of light into the room at night (from a street light) and in the morning. My wife said it was to get us out of the room early...could be. We didn't have any problem falling asleep, though. The breakfast the next morning was ok. The bread and bagels seemed a bit stale. The waffles were great. They had the usual fare. I did not see the pool so I can't comment on that. All in all, this was a great place to stay for the night.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knoxville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Knoxville West
Candlewood Suites Knoxville
Candlewood Suites Knoxville
#34 of 87 in Knoxville
Staybridge Suites Knoxville-West
Hampton Inn & Suites Knoxville - Turkey Creek / Farragut
Comfort Suites Knoxville West-Farragut
Fairfield Inn & Suites Knoxville West

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!