“Spicy and delicious”

Gosh
Ranked #69 of 1,212 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have an Ethiopian friend who often goes with me to Gosh. When the 'locals' eat there, you know it is good. I've eaten Ethiopian in a lot of places, mostly in Africa. This comes close. The atmosphere could use some work, but it is a start-up effort. The food is delicious, but be careful not to ask them to only use a little, because then they really do use only a LITTLE. I like the sampler with mostly vegetarian dishes and maybe some meat added. They are very helpful. Best wash your hands before and after you eat. The coffee is really nice at the end!

They will also cater for an occasion.

1  Thank Leoma G

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I've been to this restaurant once and really enjoyed it. My friends all recommended that I order the sampler so that I could try several dishes at once. It serves two, though I was doubtful when they brought it out, and I saw the portion sizes. The spongy bread, injera, you use to eat the stewed vegetables and meat is filling, so the sampler ended up being plenty for my husband and me. My favorite dishes were the Tikil Gomen (cabbage) and the spicy beef and lentils (I don't recall their names), and I liked the unsweet Ethiopian iced tea as well. The owner and our server were extraordinarily attentive and made sure we were doing well at all times. Our server was so genuinely nice and happy to be there, something I must say I don't usually come across at restaurants! As for the atmosphere, they were playing an Ethiopian music DVD that was really interesting to watch and listen to, and it was very laid-back and comfortable.

1  Thank Terra C
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My husband and I just ate there for lunch. Everything was delicious. My favorites were the Tikil gomen, collard gomen, and Kik alicha. He loved his lamb too.

1  Thank lindencraig
Reviewed March 27, 2012

As the only Ethiopian restaurant in Knoxville, this place is very good. If you're not familiar with this cuisine, basically it amounts to different types of hearty, spiced, stewed meats and vegetables served "family style" on a large platter with a type of fermented flatbread called injera. You'll find lentil dishes, chickpea dishes, lamb or goat dishes, and some are spicier than others.
Gosh is very good. The atmosphere is nothing to crow about, but the food is great. And afterwards, stop by Holy Land grocery, which is just next door.

1  Thank Petitbleu88
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I like this place pretty well. The food is good and plenty for the price. It's a great option for vegetarians and non alike.

I like that its so different than anything else in Knoxville.

Be sure to get the combination platter so you can try different things. I suggest the cabbage. It's the best. Also, the vegetable sambussa is a must for starters.

I feel like the service could be better, my partner was getting irritated at the very slow pace of it. So, be warned and be patient.

1  Thank Brandon H

Been to Gosh? Share your experiences!