“A Great Spot to Break Up Monotonous Dining”
Review of Gosh

Gosh
Ranked #82 of 1,179 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Maryville, Tennessee
“A Great Spot to Break Up Monotonous Dining”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I've been to this restaurant once and really enjoyed it. My friends all recommended that I order the sampler so that I could try several dishes at once. It serves two, though I was doubtful when they brought it out, and I saw the portion sizes. The spongy bread, injera, you use to eat the stewed vegetables and meat is filling, so the sampler ended up being plenty for my husband and me. My favorite dishes were the Tikil Gomen (cabbage) and the spicy beef and lentils (I don't recall their names), and I liked the unsweet Ethiopian iced tea as well. The owner and our server were extraordinarily attentive and made sure we were doing well at all times. Our server was so genuinely nice and happy to be there, something I must say I don't usually come across at restaurants! As for the atmosphere, they were playing an Ethiopian music DVD that was really interesting to watch and listen to, and it was very laid-back and comfortable.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Terra C

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Delicious! Lots of vegetarian choices”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My husband and I just ate there for lunch. Everything was delicious. My favorites were the Tikil gomen, collard gomen, and Kik alicha. He loved his lamb too.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank lindencraig
“Good, authentic Ethiopian food”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

As the only Ethiopian restaurant in Knoxville, this place is very good. If you're not familiar with this cuisine, basically it amounts to different types of hearty, spiced, stewed meats and vegetables served "family style" on a large platter with a type of fermented flatbread called injera. You'll find lentil dishes, chickpea dishes, lamb or goat dishes, and some are spicier than others.
Gosh is very good. The atmosphere is nothing to crow about, but the food is great. And afterwards, stop by Holy Land grocery, which is just next door.

1 Thank Petitbleu88
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Nice to have something different”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I like this place pretty well. The food is good and plenty for the price. It's a great option for vegetarians and non alike.

I like that its so different than anything else in Knoxville.

Be sure to get the combination platter so you can try different things. I suggest the cabbage. It's the best. Also, the vegetable sambussa is a must for starters.

I feel like the service could be better, my partner was getting irritated at the very slow pace of it. So, be warned and be patient.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Brandon H
“Unique & good”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Had never eaten Ethiopian food before--so gave this place a try Saturday 9/10. Very clean little place. Service efficient but food is freshly made and takes a bit longer than your average place; not interminably wrong. But it's worth the wait. I had beef tips seasoned with Rosemary & onion & other good stuff--wonderful. Especially liked the date cake--unique & delicious!!
One thing I didn't care for: the spongy bread served with the meal.

1 Thank 10acmel