“Fun stop”

Sweet P's BBQ and Soul House
Ranked #25 of 1,199 Restaurants in Knoxville
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We were well into a very long drive and this was a great stop before hitting Gatlinburg. Great food that felt fresh and healthy. Kids loved the mac&cheese and we enjoyed the turkey sandwiches. Very glad we made the stop.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

My wife saw a program on TV about this place and she wanted to try it. If you are not a local such as us,would recommend a GPS, it's not easy to find. I was not impressed the looks of the place, you stand in line to get your food like a cafeteria. They give you a tray then order your food from a black board,move down the line receiving your food on paper plates with plastic utensils, next station is the cashier, then try to find a place to sit and eat. So much for the negatives,the food for the most part was above average ribs and brisket were outstanding . Tater salad was ok. Mac and cheese was very good, we heard the banana pudding was a must, to me it was ok nothing great. Even thought I dislike going to a restaurant that has the atmosphere of a picnic, I would defiantly return the BBQ is very good.

Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I drove close to an hour to try this hidden gem for lunch after a recommendation from a friend. It was 100% worth the drive. We were greeted by more than one very friendly and helpful staff. We ordered brisket, ribs, Mac n cheese, greens and of course banana pudding. All of the food was simply amazing. The brisket was tender and flavorful. The ribs were cooked to perfection and they absolutely nailed the dry rub. My title pretty much suns up my thoughts on the pudding. They even had fresh kool-aid as a drink option! Overall this place had a great friendly southern atmosphere and I would recommend to anyone. Best first impression that I have received from a restaraunt in a very long time. It is very refreshing to find a gem like this.

1  Thank Jason W
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I was on vacation this past week with the In-Laws, and we went to Sweet P for Wednesday night’s dinner. While close to Knoxville, it seem to be located off the beaten path and out of the way. It was about 30-40 minute drive each way from Lenior City. Worth it? Oh, yes.

There were just a few tables taken when we arrived, when we left the place was nearly packed on the inside. A local Korean church group arrived by bus, and 20+ BBQ fans quickly helped to fill up the restaurant. Other people arrived as well, and continued to fill-up Sweet P's for a Wednesday dinner.

The brisket was great, very tender with just a little bit of pull remaining in the slices, it was not over cooked nor just falling apart. Perhaps it could have been a bit juicier (my wife thought so), I thought it was fine. One of my daughters had the BBQ chicken which was very tasty and very moist.

The BBQ sauces were great. I’m a push over for sweet BBQ sauces, and Sweet P’s Thick sauce is just that. It was sweet, but not overly so with a slight tang – very nice. They have a Thin Sauce, which was vinegar based. I’m not a fan of vinegar based sauces – this one was a surprise for me as there was a good balance between vinegar (which was dominate) and sweet. I believe the style is known as East Tennessee BBQ sauce. Sweet P’s Hot sauce is their Thin sauce with a chipotle puree added, which provided for a subtle heat and nice flavor, not overpowering heat. I really enjoyed the hot sauce.

The side dishes were good to great. The Mac and Cheese was loved by everyone at our table who had it (one of my daughter’s had two sides of mac and cheese). The pinto beans were a bit ordinary to me, nothing a little BBQ sauce couldn’t fix. The banana pudding (yes it’s available as a side) was great for those who like banana pudding.

Overall a great BBQ dinner. Would I go again, yes!

Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Awesome Brisket. ..Ribs are excellent! !! The sides are awesome, each unique! Fried Pickels are perfect to say the least. Banana Pudding is perfect as can be for southern traditions...always excellent food and service...highly recommended!

1  Thank PaulyPauly2014