“Good Chow and decent beer”

Sweet P's BBQ and Soul House
Ranked #25 of 1,199 Restaurants in Knoxville
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My son wanted to go there after seeing them on TV. I wasn't disappointed. We had the brisket plate. That's how I judge a BBQ place. It was pretty good; almost fork tender. The sides were great. I recommend the greens and mac n cheese. The bacon and chocolate chip cookies were awesome. They have a fair beer selection. I had the Sweetwater IPA and liked it alot. The restaurant was kinda out of our way but very worth the trip.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I cannot write enough good things about this place. I've tried everything on the menu (including the bacon and chocolate chip cookies) and loved every single creation. I drove eleven hours from my home just to eat at this southern gem (I saw it first on Man vs. Food). If you like good food, you'll like Sweet P's.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I love this "hole in the wall" place! My favorite is the brisket; it's super tender and oh so good! The atmosphere is laid back and it overlooks the water. It definitely has personality and I think that just adds to it. I try to take all of my out of town guests here.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

This restaurant overlooks the Tennessee River. It has outdoor seating on picnic tables. It was perfect weather the day we visited and we sat outside. I imagine in summertime it would be too hot in the sun outside, but there is also inside seating. The pulled pork was very good, the brisket good, and the ribs a little dry. The sauteed greens were excellent, but I found the other sides to be average. It was great for lunch, but it would not be worth the drive for dinner. The place really fills up after noon and the wait can be long.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Try everything! My wife and I got plates of brisket and chicken. Each was smoky and delicious. The sides were dynamite as well. Sauteed greens, macaroni & cheese, green beans, potato salad...all delicious. I realized that I had to go back and get a plate of pork to try as well. Both of us relished every bite. My wife even tried brisket for the first time, and while she ordinarily wouldn't order pork, was glad that we got some extra.

The place is a little remote, about a half hour from Knoxville. But it's absolutely worth the drive. And apparently we missed out on the night's special, smoked meatloaf, because it's so popular that it was sold out by 7:00 pm. So, get there early if you want to try whatever the special is. Otherwise, you're not missing anything. The soul music plays gently in the background to remind you that you're in the fairly-deep south...as if you needed the reminder. Great experience!