“Glad we took a ride.”

Star of Knoxville Riverboat
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Star of Knoxville Riverboat is an authentic 325-passenger sternwheel riverboat offering sightseeing, lunch, dinner, entertainment and moonlight cruises along the Tennessee River.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My sister and I took the lunch cruise. The food was very good and the scenery was beautiful. The crew were very nice. I would recommend the cruise.

TNriverboat, Manager at Star of Knoxville Riverboat, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear your feedback. We hope that you come back with us real soon!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife won a contest for this outing. We had never been and was kind of looking forward to it.
What a different reality it turned out to be.
The tables were extremely small. The dining area was cramped, to say the least. The food was mediocre at best. There was a wedding party ( WHAT?!?!?!?!!) on board and a group of smoking , obnoxious, rude Yankees too. And some of those were on walkers and all had that "attitude".
Some of the staff looked liked they belonged to a local gang and had just got out of prison.
The "buffet" was not that good. Just cafeteria food in big trays. And getting there in that crowd was a logistical nightmare. Everytime I tried to take a bite of food I got pushed or bumped. It was all I could do to keep from throwing the rudest overboard. Even the staff were rude.
Riding the river is not what you would think it would be. You get to see three things....Constuction sites, rich people homes and trash. UNBELIEVABLE that people PAY for this. Forget about the restrooms...like being on an airplane.
The only good things onboard were 1. The coffee 2. The cheesecake
If you even think about doing this, go slap yourself until you come to your senses
Mr. F JC,TN

7  Thank Dee F

Mr. F,
I am very sorry that you and your wife had a horrible time on the riverboat. That is great that you won it from a contest, we do offer lots of opportunities like this.
Customer Service is our top priority here at the Riverboat and we are constantly working on items to improve on.
The night you came on, there was a Reception that night, and they did take up a majority of the boat.
Again, we are very sorry about your experience and we will be working to try to improve.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Dealing with Regene who works with the riverboat and the riverboat company has been ridiculous...

I got married this past July 28th and wanted to plan a bridesmaid luncheon for my bridesmaids the morning before the wedding (the 27th). I thought that it would be a fun idea to have the luncheon on the Riverboat. And if you have ever planned a wedding you know that it is a lot of planning and you have to plan every little detail. SO I booked the riverboat and my Mom's card was charged and I explained to them that that this was a bridesmaid luncheon the day before my wedding.

SO we got all the invitations printed stating the luncheon would be on the Riverboat, sent them out, and I was very excited about the event. A few days before the event I called to confirm the event and add a few passengers to the number that would be attending. They said this would be perfectly fine and charged my Mom's card again.

On July 26th (the day before the event) at 4 pm Regene called and left me a message saying that they did not meet their 20 passenger requirement in order for the boat to go out and that they would not be taking the boat out the next day. What?!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Of course I lost it (two days before my wedding) 20 person requirement??!! I was NEVER informed of any 20 person requirement and if I had been I would not have booked the boat in the first place or would have at least made sure and that I paid for at least 20 so this would be a sure thing. (you don't just take chances like that surrounding your wedding events) Regene also said on the message that I could be credited for another cruise that evening or the next morning they could take us out instead....hmmmm....THIS IS A WEDDING EVENT!!! That evening we had the rehearsal dinner duh...and the next morning was the wedding day!!! So no that's just not going to Regene. SO the message was left at 4 pm the day before the event and I did not get it till about 530, I was freaking out and called back to see if I could just pay for the remaining costs that would to add up to 20 (we only needed 6 more) Their message machine said they closed at 5 and I was crying and did not know what to do. My Dad called our friend Ken Scoonover, the manager at Chesapeakes, and luckily we were able to book the event last minute at Chesapeake's ( he is wonderful and Chesapeakes was great, so may have been to our advantage considering some of the reviews I read on here about their terrible food the riverboat has anyway)

I never responded to Regene at this time because I clearly had a lot going on the next couple of days. But IT GETS WORSE...

My Mom waited to contact them until the beginning of September to see if they had credited her credit card back before calling. She got the statement for the month and it had not been credited. So she called and explained her frustrations with the situation and how upsetting and stressful this whole thing was for us. Regene then began to lie saying that she had informed me when I booked the boat of the 20 passenger rule and when I had called and confirmed (4 days before) they had told me about the rule again and that the 20 passenger requirement had not been filled at that time...YEAH OK... like I would have just been like "oh well we'll see" ... this was ON PRINTED INVITATIONS I think I would have noticed if someone had told me something like that. THEN...

My mom told her that she did not believe that she had told me about the 20 passenger requirement, otherwise I would not have taken that chance. Regene then began to raise her voice and told my mom, "You don't need to be calling me a lair!" and then HUNG UP! My mom immediately called back and told her that she needed to talk to her about crediting her card back and Regene rudely said back to her, "I doing it right now!" and HUNG UP on her AGAIN!!! Then my mother called back a third time told her she wanted to talk to the owner. Regene told my mom that she was the manager and that the owner was not there and if she wanted to talk to him she would have to call another day and then HUNG UP ON HER A THIRD TIME!!! totally unbelievable!

We reported them to the better business bureau and Regene responded with complete lies and took no responsibility for her actions.

This whole thing was very stressful for me and my family and was a completely unacceptable way of handling business.

11  Thank Brittany B
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We took an excursion as only the wealthy did a hundred years ago. They had to bring their own food, but the Tennessee Riverboat did the meal for us. Why do this? To beat the heat; it's cooler onthe water. But we had airconditioning on the lower level. If you want a breeze, go out front or up the stairs to the upper deck where a second bar is.

Very enjoyable as we took six friends with us. Just make sure to get reservations 24 hours in advance.

4  Thank Silentflier
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great riverboat ride on the Tennessee River. They have several very interesting stops to see various exhibitions and the riverscape is just beautiful.