“Neighborhood place with class”
Review of The Grill at HIghlands Row - CLOSED

The Grill at HIghlands Row
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Knoxville
“Neighborhood place with class”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Highlands Grill is a neighborhood restaurant that was re-created a couple of years ago after a long absence. Early (largely successful) efforts at first-class cuisine have slipped into a rut. The menu was shortened, and while changing occasionally, it is regional southern-exotic without being exciting. Its main virtue is reliability and competence, so we're still loyal when we feel uncertain. An old favorite, bison or venison burgers are not on the menu but available nonetheless when we ask about it ... what else is available only on request? Ambiance and service are good.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank centaur41

Tennessee
“Tasty and a lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We ate here on New Year's Eve. The food was great and the service was excellent. The kitchen was efficient; we didn't wait long for anything. Bread with 2 kinds of butter arrived with our drinks. Both of us ordered the crab cakes with remoulade and were pleased with the decision. The accompanying crispy fried okra was a fun flavor and complimentary texture. The entree plate was ample and filling, but we ordered dessert anyway. I'd recommend trying the berry cobbler, a family recipe of the chef--lots of fruit in its own large ramekin; just the right amount of pastry on top! The flour-less chocolate cake is like a mousse with some tasty decorative additions. This restaurant gets high marks for presentation. Each plate was carefully arranged. As for atmosphere, the room's giant fireplace added warmth, ambiance and a subtle fragrance. For us, it was the perfect special meal.

• Visited December 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Excited to try - disappointed by the experience”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I ate here last Friday night - my family and I came to celebrate birthdays for both my mother and best friend, a fact that was mentioned under the 'special consideration' section on the Open Table website. While the restaurant is small, and nicely decorated, it is quite loud, and the tables are too closely spaced together. The hostess was very nice when we mentioned we were running a bit late, and the table was waiting when we arrived and we were seated immediately. However, our server was either very new, or just not very good. It took a long time get waters to the table, and even longer for our wine and small plates. Even though he mentioned he would bring bread, we had to ask twenty minutes later. He was not familiar with the wine and beer selections (he carried my white wine by the bowl and not by the stem - admittedly a nit-picky comment, but this is one of the nicer restaurants in Knoxville, and I have higher standards for them), and not with the menu either. I asked for the potato gratinee (as it was worded on the menu) with my steak, and he looked at me like I was stupid and asked me if I wanted the potatoes or vegetables (not very descriptive of him either). The food was fine, my steak was cooked to the correct temperature, but the gratinee was quite bland. The flourless chocolate torte for dessert was mediocre, nothing I would want to order again. Even though I had made a point to mention that we were celebrating birthdays, there was not even a mention of 'Happy Birthday' from anyone - apparently they don't read the reservations. It was an okay dinner, but I feel no need to go back, especially at the price that is charged for the mediocre food, and disappointing service. I found this experience especially ironic, since I applied for a serving job here a few months ago here and didn't even receive a callback. There are better places to eat in Knoxville.

• Visited December 2013
Florida
“YUMMY Biscuits!!!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The warm little biscuits that are served while you are waiting on your food are wonderful!! I really just wanted to keep eating them!! We enjoyed excellent Highlands Benedict with very tasty crab cakes. The restaurant is really lovely inside. Our only issue was there seemed to be not enough waitstaff to take care of the Sunday crowd.

• Visited October 2013
Alcoa, Tennessee
“Sweet Sunday”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

After hearing great reviews from friends & family, we decided to try their Sunday brunch. We sat on the cozy patio with a soft rain outside and enjoyed an amazing meal. The food was very, very good. Hubby had the steak & eggs with smoked gouda grits. I sampled...yum! I had the eggs benedict which definitely has an E TN twist that is delicious. Only slight disappointment was the mimosas...they were a bit watered down. We had an overall excellent experience and will be back!

• Visited August 2013