“Very Welcomed Surprise”
Review of Puleo's Grille

Puleo's Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Puleo's Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 1,187 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Very Welcomed Surprise”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

So we ended up at Puleo's Grill as we were spending a night in Knoxville during a road trip and Puleo's happened to be within walking distance from the hotel we were in. When we first drove past, our initial thoughts were 'I could go for fajitas', because it really does look like a Tex-Mex chain restaurant, so imagine our surprise when we saw signs for Steaks, Seafood, and Pasta.

I got the New York Strip and baked potato with a side of mushrooms, the girlfriend got their version of a chicken pot pie. The steak was cooked perfectly as ordered and had excellent flavor, the baked potato was good as baked potatoes go, and the mushrooms were so good I still wish we would've had the opportunity to reheat them and take them with us as I couldn't finish. The Chicken Pot Pie however is what really caught us by surprise, flaky pie crust on the bottom, excellent gravy and fillings, then topped with a big piece of puff pastry on the top, not to mention the dish in general was massive. The girlfriend said it was the best chicken pot pie she ever had.

Otherwise, the service was good, they were polite and fast, we didn't have to wait, and overall it was a very good experience. Was it the best food I've ever had, probably not, but it was very good, especially for a Tex-Mex chain looking Italian restaurant on the side of the road.

• Visited May 2012

Victoria, Texas
“Try the Fried Asparagus”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were on the road and stayed in the fabulous LaQuinta behind this restaurant. We had a trailer in tow so we conveniently walked down to this restaurant. WOW were we surprised. Service and food a high 5. We had stopped earlier and met up with someone and they were hungry. We just each had an hor' derve (sp), which was the calimari and Fried Asperagus. Both were great! What a treat as we were expecting poor Mexican food being from Texas. Wish we were hungrier so we could have tried a full meal. There had to be at least 12 asparagus spires.

It's in Strawberry Plains Pike, east of Knoxville and not in Knooxville.

• Visited October 2012
Sevier County,TN
“great cuisine”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

good place to eat. good service also. varied menu. well prepared and tastes great. fish or italian dishes are all good. a special place for us as we go to knoxville.

Visited April 2012
Nashville
“Lackluster food, good service”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had the lasagne, and it was mushy and fairly tasteless. The server was attentive and polite without being obsequious. The restaurant was nearly empty, so maybe the real cooks had gone home.

Visited September 2012
“Tasty pork chops”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stopped in Puleo's for dinner one night. I sat at the bar, and would have stayed to watch the Tennessee football game, but the bartender said the restaurant didn't have ESPN-U, so I couldn't see that particular game. Nevertheless, the bartender was very friendly, and so were the couple of patrons who sat there drinking while I waited for my take out order. I got the glazed pork chop, with kale and sweet potatoes. When I got back to my hotel room to eat and watch the game, I was in "hog heaven" because the meal was delicious. I'd go back to try other items on the menu.

Visited August 2012