“Long wait but not worth it”
Review of Cafe 4

Cafe 4
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe 4 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,219 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Union Avenue
Description: Cafe 4 entered the downtown scene almost a decade ago, truly becoming a pioneer in Knoxville's substantial urban revitalization. Unbelievable to those who have only seen Market Square in its enlivened state, downtown Knoxville was anything but desirable at the time of Cafe 4's founding. The restaurant was birthed from a desire to bring light to a dark place, and the transformation that has taken place since has been truly remarkable. The front doors open up to the restaurant and a cozy mezzanine bar that is frequented by coffee drinkers, cocktail lovers, conversationalists, and passers by. The back of the building is home of The Square Room, an elegant space used for concerts and events. Swing buy for a cupcake, a cup of locally roasted coffee, or have a seat at the cafe. You're sure to be greeted with southern hospitality and urban taste.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Saturday morning (11 AM) with the Farmer's Market open and light rain drove people into the restaurant early. We just stopped for coffee today. The cappuccino was lukewarm and the barrista seemed a little disorganized, but pleasant. There is a great place upstairs in a mezzanine that is very comfortable and away from the lineup downstairs waiting for a table for lunch.

We ate lunch here a year ago on a rainy Sunday. The service was terrible.It took 15 minutes for the waiter to show up after being seated and another 20 minutes before he brought the drinks. It was an hour after we were seated that we finally received our food, which was cold.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

My friends and I stopped in for brunch last weekend the morning after attending a wedding. None of us had ever been to Knoxville, and we just stumbled on this restaurant wandering through Market Square. Very good! The breakfast was delicious and, even though I was totally full from my delicious frittata, I had to get one of the phenomenal breakfast pastries, too (almond croissant... yum). Was so impressed that I got a box of macaroons from the bakery for the drive home! Loved this place!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed breakfast on the patio. Mocha coffee the best I've tasted. The farmers scramble was yummy and the eggs and cheese grits were great. Very nice meal.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were facing another day and a half on the road, and just couldn't face another fast food place, so we turned to trip advisor for a local restaurant in Knoxville. We picked Cafe 4 because of its good food reviews and eclectic menu. Those did not disappoint, but we got a lot more. It was a beautiful afternoon, so we had an early dinner on the patio, looking out onto a quaint Market Square. We passed by an adorable park to get there and numerous other small eating establishments. We made a terrific choice in Cafe 4. The employees were very friendly, and the service was excellent. The food was delicious. I had an ABC burger - avocado, Boursin cheese and caramelized onions. It was done perfectly. I opted for a side of 3-cheese Mac n cheese, while my husband got the full portion of Lobster Mac n cheese. We both loved our dishes - the Mac and cheese was creamy, but nicely browned and crunchy on top. We also ordered a side of sautéed asparagus; also outstanding. My husband felt that the large size of the Lobster Mac and cheese would have fed two people. We were too full for dessert! Our only disappointment is that we probably will never get there again!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We ate here multiple times while attending a conference, and enjoyed every meal! From brunch, lunch, dinner and drinks, everything we ate was delicious and reasonably priced. We especially loved the Shrimp and Grits! The Arts Festival was going on during our visit, and it was great people watching from the patio. We felt that Cafe 4 was a better value than the Tupelo Honey Cafe across the street.

Been to Cafe 4? Share your experiences!