“Its hard to find sushi of this quality on a buffet”

Makino Japanese Buffet
Ranked #212 of 1,231 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Ate here with a friend 1/2/10. Like another reviewer, loved this place when it was called BK Asian grill (before it changed management then soon died). Like then, the selection is amazing for a Saturday afternoon lunch price of $10.50. There are approximately 20 feet of buffet (maybe 18 trays) of sushi alone. Everything I had was of excellent quality. The place was busy, and turnover on food kept it fresh. The Chinese food side was about 15 feet, and there were tasty entries to be found including a fantastic coconut shrimp and baked mussels. 4 types of soup were hot and ready ( I had the egg drop with crab leg), and of course the Mongolian bar (where no less than 4 people were in line). There is also a huge dessert island, with ice creams, and a variety of cakes, cold seafood, puddings, and fruit. I don't think I have ever seen any eatery in this location as busy, and that is a very good sign. Its not the perfection of Lemongrass Thai out on Cedar Bluff or Kaya Korean behind West Marine next to West Town, but its very good quality food on a buffet for an astoundingly low price: and still popular after more than 6 months in operation. A great west Knox meal option, one of my top 5. I reserve 5 stars for truly great places that serve meals friends and I talk about for months. Otherwise, this place would get 5 stars too.

Reviewed November 28, 2009

It's an excellent place : you get a good buffet with good sushis, rolls, and nigiri (more than 10 different choice), very good chinese buffet, and a very good dessert buffet.
For about $10 / person, you cannot go wrong. It's a very good place for the money !

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed August 24, 2009

How can I sufficiently declare my great love for Makino? I loved it in it former incarnation of BK's Asian Grill, and still love it as Makino. They have a HUGE sushi and Chinese food buffet, and a very nice Mongolian grill selection. The price (I think about $11 or $12 for lunch, more for dinner) seems reasonable to me for what you get. The inside is cavernous and without a huge amount of atmosphere, and yet I still find it has a good feeling. Call it a favorite. I could eat there every day.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I've been several times for the lunch buffet. For about $12 after tax/tip, you can't beat it. Sushi isn't top of the line, but still is very good and there are literally about 20 or so choices of maki and nigiri. Hibachi chicken, shrimp, and steak also available, as well as 10 or so items you would normally see at a chinese or japanese buffet.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Great buffet. Good sushi (not stellar, though). Decent prices. Best seared salmon I've had in Knoxville.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Makino Japanese Buffet? Share your experiences!