“Food is the star but the rest could use some work”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of RouXbarb - CLOSED

RouXbarb
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Chef Bruce Bogartz has won Best Chef in Knoxville's Metro Pulse reader surveys for an unparalleled 6 years in a row for a reason. Come find out why we're one of the 100 Places to Eat in the South Before You Die, according to The Southern Foodie!
Knoxville, TN
“Food is the star but the rest could use some work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

Let me first say...this place isn't your average knoxville eatery. Unique menu where each dish has a distinct flavor. Every meat dish I have tried is exceptional. The soups are very good as are most of the sides. The duck, ribs, bbq are my favorites. I have made three trips now and they have all been in the winter and I don't know if they are barely making it or what but the place is ice cold. Like 55-60 degrees Ice cold. Every person on each trip I have made is wrapped tight in their jackets. Instead of lingering around to enjoy dessert (twice) we have opted to take it home due to their lack of will to turn on the heat. Atmosphere leaves alot to be desired but...again...the food is the star here. This isn't a romantic place...if the atmosphere could raise itself up to the food...this would be a bigger hit.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Pricey? What price pleasure?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

When the Ms. and I want a dinner out we want something that we can't do at home (at 1/5 the price) and/or we both want a break from my cooking (and her clean-up).
After researching on-line for "a place" I found RouXbarb.
We arrived promptly at our reservation time of 7:30 and though the place seemed full to capacity, we were seated immediately at our "reserved" table.
We had a knowledgeable wait-person who led us through the "specials" in a clear and concise way and who was attentive throughout the evening.
BYOB is fine with us and the $5 corkage is not a problem when most places triple the per bottle cost of their wines.
We spent the next hour or so smiling, talking and sampling each other's choices... Scallops w/cheese grits, seafood gumbo, fresh vegetarian spring roll (What are those? ... crumbled, caramelized pecans in there? Nicely done!), Tilefish with potatoes and a dessert of lemon chess pie (2 forks) with a candied cranberry topping that we were over-reaching by trying to finish.
All in all a splendid evening and made the decision to come back again before we ever left!
Excellent!

2 Thank TravelWise42
TN
“Duck Club”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

I was so glad to see the Duck Club Sandwich is still on the lunch menu. I went with 2 friends for a "Christmas Lunch". Neither had been to Bruce's previous restaurants.

I suggested the Duck Club and they were both blown away!

I had the special paella...it was delicious.

Hope he stays open for lunch as well as dinner!

1 Thank escargot2
tennessee
“Great Food - my favorite in Knoxville”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

We have been to Rouxbarb twice and both times the meals have been excellent! We have had the Madison shrimp and grits, the grilled Filet, the Salmon, the black eyed-pea hummus, the pimento beignets, the grilled pineapple salad, the chocolate mouse, the carmel sundae and the fruit sorbet.
This is my favorite place in Knoxville for the best food in the city. The restaurant is small and reservations are required 90% of the time. It is BYOB with a $5 corkage fee for them to serve your beverages at the table.
The chef Bruce makes unique sauces and food combinations including blueberry bbq sauce with the baby back ribs. For Knoxville this is very cutting edge and unique - we dine out regularly in this city where we live and many others - and this is not the "norm" - making it a welcome change.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good food. Different. But overpriced and BYOB.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

Good food. Different. But overpriced and BYOB.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook