“Bruce Bogartz...best local chef in Knoxville...enough said. Food Network needs to come here and show people what real...”
Review of RouXbarb - CLOSED

RouXbarb
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef Bruce Bogartz has won Best Chef in Knoxville's Metro Pulse reader surveys for an unparalleled 6 years in a row for a reason. Come find out why we're one of the 100 Places to Eat in the South Before You Die, according to The Southern Foodie!
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Bruce Bogartz...best local chef in Knoxville...enough said. Food Network needs to come here and show people what real food should taste like. Great food...presented in a professional manner. A must go!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Reviewed July 13, 2008

I agree with the previous reviewer that this is probably the best restaurant in Knoxville. In any case, it was the only restaurant we found in researching prior to our trip or actually ate in that met my criteria for being a really good restaurant. My criteria are fairly picky. When I'm visiting in Italy, I don't want to eat Japanese food, and when I'm in Japan, I'm not looking to dine on Texas barbecue. A good restaurant, at least when I'm travelling, has to serve primarily local cuisine. Further, there has to be an emphasis on using the freshest, highest-quality locally sourced ingredients in season. The menu should change with the seasons.

Serving local cuisine should not equate to stodgy, traditional, and boring. The menu should be modern and should show creativity.

Rouxbarb met all of my criteria. It seemed to be the only fine restaurant in Knoxville that wasn't trying to be French or Japanese or Mexican, etc. When we were there barbecue was on the menu, along with black-eyed peas, grits, and plenty of other Southern specialties. But along with celebrating traditional Southern ingredients and dishes there were plenty of twists. Black-eyed pea hummus, for example - now that's what I call creative.

Now, all of this a priori competence is all well and good, but what about the actual experience of eating there? I just can't say enough good things. The atmosphere was casual, and the service was down-to-earth and friendly in a way I would think of as quintessentially Southern. We came with a baby and were accommodated in every way. The food was fantastic, starting with the bread, which was kind of like cornbread with a little bit of spiciness to it.

I had a starter that was an enormous bowl of clams in a hot salty broth with corn, bacon and cilantro. It was so good I felt like doing backflips. Even knowing I had to save room for my main course and dessert, I could not stop sucking it down and smacking my lips. We also split the roasted pineapple salad. The we had our main courses - my husband had barbecued vegetables that had an amazing smoky flavor that was unforgettable. I had a tender steak with cheesy grits and a tangy, winey red-eye gravy that was superb. For dessert we had chocolate mousse, kind of retro and deeply satisfying.

As we were eating, Bruce Bogartz, the chef, meandered out of the kitchen among the tables greeting each table individually. He is a big, friendly-seeming guy, which, if you're of the "never trust a skinny chef" persuasion, certainly says good things about him. But even if he were shaped like Twiggy, I would still love this place.

I should note that the restaurant is BYOB. Definitely make reservations, you do NOT want to miss this place. It is THE foodie destination in Knoxville.

1  Thank Groggie
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Or perhaps the very best Knoxville has to offer in well-prepared, well-
presented food. It's a bit pricey, but Chef Bogartz does not disappoint with his gourmet level dishes. Definitely make reservations.

Reviewed July 9, 2008

Went for lunch and really enjoyed it. Great bbq and sides.