“surprising disappointment”
Review of RouXbarb - CLOSED

RouXbarb
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef Bruce Bogartz has won Best Chef in Knoxville's Metro Pulse reader surveys for an unparalleled 6 years in a row for a reason. Come find out why we're one of the 100 Places to Eat in the South Before You Die, according to The Southern Foodie!
Reviewed October 11, 2013

After high expectations based on the experiences of friends we were let down. Atmosphere is intensely artisanal chic and the executive chef visited our table with advice. But alas, most meals were okay at best and the steaks were gristly and not to specifications.

1  Thank centaur41

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stopped here on a whim, the food was excellent. Had eggs benedict. Its hard to tell if they are open, its eclectic inside and close sitting. Prices are a little high, but the quality is excellent. The day we were there, they appeared to be a little short-staffed. Service is acceptable. The food made up for any wait. When we ate there, it was their 7 week of offering a breakfast brunch on Sunday.

Parking is questionable. They really need to make it clearer that they are open, Looked over the dinner menu, looks really good.

2  Thank KnoxvilleBear
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had visited last year for lunch and were happy with the experience. When a half off Groupon came up I bought $60. Returned this past week and as shown in my rating we were very disappointed. The highlight was excellent service and thank goodness we did not have the other taller waiter who acted like he was at the Ritz and was very loud. I think I memorized the menu because I felt like it was shouted in my ear many times. BTW the menu board was incorrect so not sure who's job it is to change. We started with two glasses of wine that seemed like a half pour. For $9 we expected more than a few sips. I ordered the red and everyone after me was told by the loud waiter that they were out so I must have gotten the last few drops. We ordered the fried shrimp and oyster app and my wife the Ahi Tuna and me the Special Snapper. The app was good until we got the bill! $17!? That was approx $3/piece of shrimp!!! The Tuna was served on Bok Choy and looked like another appetizer. It was $36!!! Cooked rare but not seared correctly and tasteless except for the sesame oil on the greens.My snapper was good on the Risotto but again at $34 it did not come close to having a well defined flavor. No salad served with it or so we were left slightly hungry. For what was paid the meal at Echo is a level above. Total bill $121 and minus the Groupon $51 not including tip. This place needs a wake up call otherwise they will be gone. Looking at other recent reviews something has changed and this change is not good.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I had a great dinner at this restaurant. I wanted their fried chicken, which is from what I hear, fantastic, but it was not on the menu when we visited. No worries though, because the entrée and appetizer I had was excellent. You could tell the food prep and cooking were quality. The wait staff was friendly and informative. Will go back.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

RouXbarb has recently emerged from a short overhaul that included a refresh of the menu. The menu variety seems to be quite good, with everything from steaks to lamb to cajun to distinctly southern dishes. This evening, we both ordered steaks. My wife's steak was a very poor cut, swimming over the top of a pile of mashed potatoes. It was initially delivered quite raw, when ordered medium-rare, and their attempt to correct it meant that she received something that was then substantially overcooked, swimming in a new pool of mashed potatoes. Both my steak and lamp chop were rare, not even close to the order. veggies, etc were disappointing. The hostess acknowledged the mistakes from the kitchen, and the wait staff dealt with it to the best of their ability. The only highlight was the carrot cake for dessert. The restaurant has an agreement with "someone's mom", and her carrot cake was really quite good. This restaurant has a small wine list, and also allows you to bring your own, for a $10/bottle corkage fee. They have applied for a full liquor license. We never received any acknowledgement from the kitchen as to the quality/problems with the food. It will take some convincing for me to return.

1  Thank freqtraveler86