“Even the water was great”
Review of RouXbarb - CLOSED

RouXbarb
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef Bruce Bogartz has won Best Chef in Knoxville's Metro Pulse reader surveys for an unparalleled 6 years in a row for a reason. Come find out why we're one of the 100 Places to Eat in the South Before You Die, according to The Southern Foodie!
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I visited Rouxbarb on our anniversary last March with two friends. We were so impressed that we decided to partake of the special Tasting Night. The price is not by any means bargain basement but for the special occasions it is the place for us 99% to splurge.

The host, Glo, is a joy. She is very personal, efficient, and so helpful that she adds that extra flavor to the evening. The service was efficient without being overbearing which is the key to great service. The restaurant is small and the tables are somewhat close but it has such a comfortable atmosphere the closeness did not phase us.

There was not a morsel of food that was served to us that was less than extremely creative and spectacular. The chief himself comes to the table to inquire what you may be allergic to or what foods you dislike when you get the Tasting program. After that the meal was in his very creative and capable hands. We think we had 8 courses but we lost count after 4. The gnocchi, mussels, ribs, soup, fried cheese, salad mushrooms, cornbread, original condiments and the shrimp and grits, which we had to take home along with the desert, were to die for.

We eat our allot but usually not this type of gourmet food on a regular basis but we promised to adjust that tendency and include Rouxbarb on our monthly meal plans.

The restaurant was crowded both times we have been there and some friends suggested that they should expand. I would be afraid that it would take away some of the cache and could effect Chef Bruce's attention to detail and quality which would be a problem.

Needless to say there is not a better, more creative and comfortable restaurant in Knoxville and maybe in the entire state.

Thank you chef Bruce, Glo and our waiter for a night we will remember and the incentive to return many more times.

There are newer reviews for RouXbarb

Reviewed October 15, 2012

It's cozy and always full, for good reason. Reservations are strongly suggested (and they're not on Open Table) but we managed to get really lucky! Absolutely everything is delicious. We started out with the most fabulous sweetbreads (which weren't on the menu) with a carraway bread pudding. So melty and divine. For salad my husband had their smoked trout salad which has made it into "top southern dishes" in the magazine Garden and Gun and was sooo tasty. I had the pineapple, goat cheese salad with marcona almond praline pieces. Yummy! For entree we shared the pork schnitzel with Benton's bacon, brussel sprouts and glazed carrots. So fallish and perfect. The pork was very moist and tender. For dessert we had the praline pecan pie. It was heaven. A carmelized top and buttery pastry...Big fat pecans with homemade caramel sauce. I'm salivating writing this. It was all so good we couldn't decide in a favorite. Every plate we sent back looked like it had been licked clean. :) You will love it! Know that they serve wine but you can also bring your own. The mint sweet tea is delicious if you opt out of alcohol. Gloria, Jessica and Bruce took great care of us, as usual. They feel like family. So does Rouxbarb. Just one more place that makes me happy I live in Knoxville!!!

1  Thank Emily B
Reviewed October 10, 2012

One of my decisions to eat at this restaurant was based on the fact that they participate in my United dining rewards program. Boy, am I glad they do! I had no idea that they were open for lunch and was actually heading to another restaurant with my daughter when I saw they were open. We were the only ones there...but it was 1:30. The place is off the beaten track and is small, probably only 40 seats? The menu sounded so good, I had a hard time deciding.
Since I try to eat vegetarian and non gluten I asked the chef to modify his blackened sea scallop special of the day to serve it over braised spinach rather than the grits. He graciously obliged. They were great! My daughter had pasta...but it had bacon, so I did not try it. It too looked excellent. We started off with the soup of the day...potato, artichoke curry. Yum! They bring some great bread with a rhubarb jam to start. It was good too! You can bring your own wine or choose from their selections. Prices were amazing! Very reasonable for the quality of food. I can't wait to go back for dinner!!!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

If you are traveling down to Knoxville a trip to the restaurant RouxBarb is a must . Having gone to many four and five star restaurants in Manhattan,I have never had a better meal than the tasting menu I sampled here. Four a mere sixty dollars the chef Bruce Bogarts will personally prepare a seven course " tasting" menu with each course is as big as an entree size.
Here is what was on the menu the night I was there:
Pesto biscuits with marinated mushrooms and strawberry rhubarb jam, mussels steamed in cider with Bentons Bacon, sweet potato gnocchi with feta grape tomatoes pine nuts and straw mushrooms,Black Bean spare riibs with green beans, chicken livers in tomato jam on cheese grits, tomato slices with dill , onion and blue cheese dressing, a choice of three entree-ours was cornmeal crusted grouper over Thai curried eggplant with crawfish beurre blanc ,and for dessert white chocolate caramal pie,ginger plum cobbler and chocolate mousse. Unbelievable and to add to this feast you can byob for only a small corking fee.
If you go reserve early since the restaurant is small and there are only ten seats at the tasting table with early reservations between five .

Sent from my iPad

2  Thank jesb1
Micah S, Public Relations Manager at RouXbarb, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for the great review! We're so glad you enjoyed your experience at RouXbarb.

Just to clarify, you can reserve a Chef's Tastings until 7pm every day except Saturdays and we seat people doing tastings both at the counter and on the main floor.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was served the worst steak I have ever seen!!! The meat was over two thirds fat and was not even close to edible. The fact that it even left the kitchen was shocking. The steak was sliced and plated in the kitchen so they knew exactly what they were serving. It was literally like they trimmed the steak and served the trimmings. I wasn't the only one disappointed with my meal. A pork dish served at the table was so tough it wasn't chewable. All in all a pathetic experience. You couldn't pay me to go back and it is criminal the amount they charged us for the meal. It ruined my birthday dinner.

2  Thank D_WilliamsKnoxville

Dear reviewer, The special steak you ordered was a Kobe flank steak, which is known for its tenderness, rich flavor and marbling. We serve it in a classic "bistro style," marinaded, pan-seared, and sliced for presentation.

RouXbarb prides itself on customer satisfaction and we deeply regret not having the opportunity to make your experience wonderful. Please alert us to any problems with your meal while you are here and we'll be more than happy to accommodate you.