Red Roof Inn Knoxville North - Merchants Drive
Ranked #55 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Dublin, Ohio
“WOW!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Great Staff!! Spend a couple of days in Knoxville with my family and since I'm not really to familiar with the area, I had to ask the desk clerk for help periodically. He was outstanding at providing directions as well as dinner choices for my family. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the price was even better. However the breakfast could use a little touch up. Suggest: fruit or yogurt. But definitely enjoy our stay. We will be staying here when we are in Knoxville.

Location was convient, in a very developed area however really quiet at night, plus many restaurants in the area

Room Tip: Stayed in a ground floor room, facing Apple Bee's
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank John K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cleveland
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had a much better experience than some of these reviews suggest; we spent one night while on the road traveling home from Florida (Knoxville is about halfway). We have pretty low expectations for "freeway motels" and usually use the coupon books you find at rest areas to get the lowest rate -- this is just a place to sleep for 8 hours until we can drive again, not a "vacation" -- and we have a dog with us, limiting our options even more.

We've stayed at some very marginal motels. So it is nice to be able to say that this Red Roof in (off Merchant's Dr. Exit 108) was well above average -- clean, VERY friendly nice staff, pleasant room, comfortable bed.

We DID get a king bed, non-smoking room, adequate Wi-Fi and cable -- a fridge and microwave and coffeemaker. It was clean and pleasant and surprisingly quiet, considering how close to busy Merchants Drive it is.

It was an "easy off, easy on" location just blocks from I-75, and there is an exceptional selection of restaurants and other services -- we had an Applebee's practically in our lap, and a Puleo's (good local eatery) across the street. But we choose to eat at a 50s drive in (also across the street) that was quick and very affordable and good.

The last couple trips we made along this route, frankly we stayed in some just awful motels -- I mean here, "Bates' Motel" quality -- dirty, holes in the wall. I was beginning to think we'd have to raise our price point to get something that wasn't creepy -- but this Red Roof Inn was not only an affordable $39.99 (with no annoying add-ons) BUT they let one pet stay FREE....this is a $10 savings for us right off the bat.

There is a decent enough free breakfast, with coffee, juice, waffles, cereal and (best of all) fresh bagels with cream cheese and these are another real savings for budget traveller.

Lastly: we found a lost dog (someone else's) in the parking lot, thinking it was a stray we captured the poor creature (no collar or tags). The night manager, seeing me running around the parking lot, called to see if we had a problem (very thoughtful), then FOUND the dog's owner so we were not stuck trying to do something with the poor thing at 6AM before we had to hit the road. (Happy ending: his owner was in another suite and very relieved to get his lost dog back!)

In short: next time we are on I-75, we will seek out this particular Red Roof Inn again! Recommended.

Room Tip: There is a pool (though not much good in the winter) and the rooms facing the pool rather than the p...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laurel F
i0692, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Knoxville North - Merchants Drive, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Knoxville North. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels. I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Positive guest feedback, like yours, is always an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerly,
Tim Lamb
Guest Service Manager
O'Brien, Florida, United States
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Was a real nice motel. Prefect location. Room 102, was in the back and easy exist to room. Looked like they are beginning updating the rooms. Was comfortable. The breakfast was pitiful. Could use some fruit. The service was great, she was very helpful and accommodating. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Plan on eating breakfast out.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank StandTall460
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I travel for a living and mostly stay at Red Roofs all across the United States. I'm a redicard holder and typically have zero complaints. The location is good with several eating establishments within easy walking. The person at the front desk quoted me the same price for Friday & Saturday but said the rate was lower for Sunday night which is the norm. I pay day to day as I'm on call 24 hours a day and may have to relocate due to work (expediter). I called desk Saturday night to confirm the Sunday rate and was again given the lower rate by a different person. Went down Sunday morning and the manager on duty tried to charge me thd higher rate and argued with me. Very unprofessional in appearance and conduct. Rooms are not updated as are other Red Roofs. Carpets not cleaned in days. The juice machine wasn't working and the coffee was like water. It was only 8:00 and the bagels and bread were al gone and the waffle maker was filty. Upon checking out I was looking under bed to make sure I wasn't forgetting something and saw 2 used condoms, 4 empty beer cans and Burger King bag. I'll be calling corporate headquarters a.d having a discussion.

• Stayed December 2012
Harrison, Michigan
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Room is very large and hotel is quiet. Outdoor pool only and there is an exercise room. We would definitely stay here again. A continental breakfast is available also. Scrambled eggs, sausage, bagels, etc are part of the menu.

Room Tip: First floor room is quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Harry T
i0692, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn Knoxville North - Merchants Drive, responded to this review, January 29, 2013

Sincerly,
Tim Lamb
Front Guest Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Last minute my friends and I decided to go to Knoxville for Tennessee's homecoming. Not a bad price for the place. You definitely get what you pay for.
There are no refrigerators or microwaves inside the rooms. The pillows are uncomfortable and I swear I woke up itching after sleeping in the bed. The guy that worked the front desk in the lobby was pretty nice. Everytime we ran out of towels we called and they told us there were no clean ones and they would be ready in two hours, go figure.
Do not expect the Four Seasons or even Holiday Inn. Like I said, you get what you pay for so don't expect much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here on our way back home to Ontario, we've had good experiences with Red Roof in the past so decided to stay here. When we got to the room, the overall view was ok. Tried to turn on the TV and the remote didn't work. Used the phone and there were a few dead bugs on the cradle which I had to blow off. The handle for the toilet was broken so it ran and ran for awhile until we jiggled with it to get it to stop, good thing we had family in the ajoining room so we could use there toilet. Breakfast was alright, juice machine was broken so if you didn't drink coffee you were out of luck. If all you are looking for is a place to sleep then this place is for you, if you need more drive on by and find another. Compared to other Red Roof Inn's we've stayed in for the same price this one doesn't compare.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family