“GOOD HOTEL”

Holiday Inn Knoxville N - Merchant Drive
Ranked #54 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed August 4, 2013

we selected the hotel using one of the discount coupon books at rest areas, got a good rate, room was clean, slept well, morning breakfast was great, even had Bacon in the food selection!
the front desk staff was friendly aswell.

Room Tip: Always check out any room you are considering before you pay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank john B
Pete P, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Knoxville N - Merchant Drive, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for taking advantage of our coupons. We are pleased that you found our hotel to be a good value and a pleasant place to get a good night's rest. We also pride ourselves on having a great breakfast and are glad you enjoyed it. Our staff work very hard to make each guest's stay as great as possible. Thank you for your review.

-Norm Nelson

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My son's team stayed there for a competition. His hotel room was terribly small and no fridge in the room. Breakfast was OK at best. There are many other nice places in Knoxville so unless it was a phenomenal deal I wouldn't bother.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review of our hotel. This gives us a great insight in what we are doing right and what we can improve. Regarding your room not having a fridge, we do have many rooms with fridges, just simply ask us and we will accommodate you with a fridge in your room.

We continue to renovate our rooms and we are in the process of adding some exciting things in our room. If you visit Knoxville again please give us another chance. We will make sure your visit is comfortable and hope to exceed your expectations. Thanks!

Norm Nelson

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We needed a place to stay for one night on our way to Nashville. This turned out to be a good choice. We always base our experience on cleanliness and service and this provided both. We were greeted with a smile at check-in. It was close to dinnertime and we asked about a restaurant that might offer local flair since this was our first time in Tennessee. We were given a recommendation (as well as a coupon) for a restaurant that was close and had very enjoyable food. When we returned to the Clarion, we were asked about our dining experience. Our room was standard hotel decor, nothing fancy, but it was clean and had everything we needed. Hallways and lobby were also clean. Brochure stands were completely filled with up to date info about the area. We received a call once we got settled in; it was the front desk just checking to see if everything was satisfactory - I've never had that happen! In the morning, my husband and I were both able to work out at the same time on two exercise bikes in the fitness center (treadmills were on the fritz). The morning staff was also friendly and we proceeded to enjoy a fresh breakfast that was regularly being checked, refilled, etc. It included waffles, fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals, oatmeal, several juices, and coffee and tea. Forgot our razor and the front desk quickly provided one for us. So while our choice of this hotel was random (we just knew we wanted something in the Choice Hotel family), it turned out to be a positive experience as our first stop in Tennessee.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kmbelz80
Pete P, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Knoxville N - Merchant Drive, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for Clarion Hotel North Knoxville.

I am happy to see you enjoyed your recent stay with us in Knoxville and our staff was able to recommend a restuarant that you enjoyed We will be replacing our treadmills pretty soon and will have brand new fitness equipment. Please come stay with us again and we will make sure your next stay is also a good one.

Thank You.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on recent trip and I have to say that we were pleasently surprised by the room and customer service. First of all, we love the rate we paid for the room. It is extremely affordable compared to the price you would end up paying at other hotels. The breakfast was good and had everything we needed. The usually waffles and cereal, pastries. The kids loved the outdoor pool. I read some of the negative comments and was hesistant but my experience was good. The staff was wonderfull and helped us and the rooms are comfortable and are being renovated so there are some new items as well. Overall good experience!!! Will stay again if we come through Knoxville.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your recent visit with us. We try our best to make sure every guest is happy and our staff goes above and beyond to make sure we stand out above all other hotels. We offer a great breakfast buffet in the morning and are always looking to improve the guest experience. Thank you.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Upon arrival, I thought the hotel was a little worn but it didn't appear too bad for the price we were paying. The trouble started the next morning when I found a "suspicious" looking bug running across the wall. To make a long story short, I began finding more of these bugs in my room and the front desk clerk confirmed my suspicions....bed bugs. They told me I was "the first report they had of them." They tried to move me to another room but I couldn't stay and the other people in my group checked out as well. When talking to the other people in my group, I also discovered that the pool was closed by order of the health department. The front desk clerk quietly checked us out, the manager was on hand but no one apologized. I wish now I had complained about having to pay for the night I stayed.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank soccer_suzanne

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at our hotel. But you will be happy to know that the room you stayed in did not have bed bugs. We have professional pest control company service our rooms bi-weekly basis. Upon your checkout we of course called them and inspect the room. You will be happy to know, they did not find any type of bugs in the room. Bed bugs do not run across the wall. It is almost impossible to see these bugs with the human eye. Also, our front desk clerk did not confirm your suspicions that your room had bugs she was just trying to help the situation and to make sure you were happy. Above all, we want our guest to be happy.

Secondly, Our pool was not closed by the health department. The reason the pool was closed during your stay was because the pool was not open for the summer season yet. We open our pool when weather turns warm and this year we had to wait until June so that our guest could enjoy our pool. May was unusually cold this year. We get great compliments on our outdoor pool and nothing is wrong with it. I do not know who told you our pool was closed by the health department but you should of just ask the front desk and they would have explained the pool was not open yet for the season.

We offer nice clean rooms and a wonderful environment to our guests. When we make mistakes we offer to correct them to make sure all our guests are happy. We have a wonderful staff and they would have more than happy to help you during your stay.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel due to a coupon in the travel magazine. It entitled us to a great rate but without that good rate I would have a hard time paying more.
Check in took 30 minutes- at 11:30pm! 2 walkins in front of me plus a lady who needed change for the vending machine and had to wait. The poor front desk guy really could have used some help as it was the end of spring break for most people and he was the only one there with a lobby full of people and the phones ringing off the hook.
Stayed on the 4th floor in a room with two full sized beds. Room was ok. some things missing off the walls due to renovations according to signs. I don't think the comforters have ever been washed and that famous brown blanket in between the comforter and sheet was so scratchy and hard. Gross.

Went down for breakfast the next morning at 8:15am and it was completly empty. Waited until closer to 9 and it was still empty. It got worse as the morning went on. Rumor has it the morning breakfast person walked out on them that morning so the front desk staff (1 person) had to keep up with the breakfast and run the desk. I really felt for her. She seemed to be doing the best she could given the situation. Myself and a couple of other guests were actually helping the lady clean up the counters and tables where guests were sitting. We didn't eat much of anything as everything was out of stock. Did try the potatoes and eggs and they were disgusting.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cruznthrough
jsully11, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Knoxville N - Merchant Drive, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

You are correct, we did have a couple of staffing situations that weekend that could not predict. We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you. Our Front Desk is now under new management and we invite you to visit us again to see what a difference it has made!

Our breakfast menu is new and we like knowing what guests think. While we are required to carry specific items on the buffet, we are open to changes if they will provide a better experience.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We were driving down to Florida and urgently needed a place to stay for a night. We finally called the Clarion Inn, Knoxville. Luckily, they had one room left, mostly every other hotel was booked because of spring break.

When we got in, there was a GIANT group of teenagers, sitting around and playing music. It was welcoming. There was one woman at the front desk and she was friendly. No pool, small fitness center. Just good enough for one or two night stays. Decent sized breakfast area.

When we got up to our room, it was decent. Two queen beds, clean and comfy enough, but somewhat stiff. The sink was separated from the shower and toilet which was a plus for us if someone wanted to use the sink while someone was in the shower. The shower was dirty, the floor of the shower was BLACK. I put down my own shower mat. They obviously only did a quick cleaning in the bathroom.

The TV was good, met our needs. It had a BALCONY which overlooked the mountains and town which was also a plus for us because for the price, it was great. Staff was friendly enough. The breakfast was okay, a make your own waffle thing, apple juice, nice area. Good enough but not too large

. The Night was HORRIBLE though. A group of teenagers on our floor were VERY LOUD. I laid in bed for nearly two hours listening to them yell in the hallway. Overall, good hotel, but I would NOT come here again. WAY too noisy and groups are always coming here.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Leahlou4
jsully11, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Knoxville N - Merchant Drive, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay with us.

You are certainly correct about us being full. There was a large convention in town and we took part. We apologize for any disturbances you experienced. Please know that had we been informed we would have addressed the issue immediately.

If you plan to travel through Knoxville again, please know that our outdoor pool is typically open during the warmer months only. Mother Nature has decided that she wants winter just a bit longer than normal this year.