“Can't make a coffee drink?”

The Crown and Goose
Ranked #137 of 1,179 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: American, British, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Willow Street
Transit: We are just a few blocks walking distance from downtown Knoxville and Market Square.
East TN
“Can't make a coffee drink?”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

It is hard to beat a good Irish Coffee or Hot Buttered Rum drink on a cold, wet Winter Day unless you can't make one.
The day was going well with the Holiday Spirit about and a Saturday off, until we went in the Crown and Goose. My wife and I was cold and wet, but in a good mood and ready to test a bartenders skill at an adult winter concoction. I asked the lady behind the bar " What are some of your best Coffee Drinks?" She coldly replied, "We don't really do coffee drinks here". Well, my mistake. It is a well stocked bar and a restaurant, how strange to ask for a coffee drink. "I can see if the kitchen has any coffee". A few minutes later, she returned with the same, generic " Can I get you something?" I replied "One Bailey's and Coffee for the lady and an Irish Whiskey with Coffee for me. I received a pour of some whiskey from the Well and some watered down coffee that looked like hot tea in glass mug.
I have not been a bartender in many years, but when I was, if a patron came to my lounge at Ober Gatlinburg and ask what my best tropical drinks were, I replied with a smile and suggestions, even if their was a foot of snow on the ground. Bartenders are a dying trade, but we went on to the Jig and Reel where we found one and got a good meal.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank beatwalker

McKinney, Texas, United States
“Great atmosphere and music, good drinks, okay service”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

It was worth the walk (in freezing wind) for the Christmas decorations and the live jazz alone. The drinks were pretty good. The service could have been better (friendly but sloooow). We didn't eat there but our friends told us the food is pretty good.

Visited December 2012
Columbus,OH
“Great Food, Poor Service”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The Chef/Owner is very creative and the food is always very good. They seem to have high turnover of Servers and the Service really takes away from the over all experience.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank bamgeo
Vonore, Tennessee
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Have eaten at this restaurant several times and have never been disappointed. Located in "Old Downtown Knoxville" in a restored old building. It is intended to represent an upscale pub both in decor and menu selection - they succeed in both areas. Good food, attentive service and good selection of wine/full bar. Highly recommend their Fish & Chips. Their Holiday decorations are very impressive - We will return.

• Visited December 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“English Pub Fare”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Located in Knoxville's Old City, this restaurant/pub has a wonderful flavor of London in the UK. My second visit was two weeks ago and found the ambience as charming as on my first visit.

• Visited October 2012