“On The House, With Class”
Review of The Chop House

The Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 252 Restaurants in Kingsport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked a room at a hotel in Kingsport TN on a road trip to the forests and mountains on the NC-TN border. I checked my mobile app for a list of local restaurants where I might enjoy dinner. I absolutely love filet mignon, so I decided to try the Chop House, which "has become one of the premier casual restaurant concepts in the Southeast, with 12 locations spread across four states." With a name like "Chop House," I figured they might be capable of preparing a great steak for my dinner. I ordered a salad (Balsamic Blue Cheese Chopped Salad, tossed with avacado, bacon, tortilla strips, onion, and diced tomato.) The salad was great. For my entree, I ordered a filet mignon cooked to a temperature of medium-well. The steak was served a bit thinner than I expected, and was overcooked. I like my filets thick. I ordered the 9-oz instead of the 6-oz with thickness in mind. My server came over and observed that the steak was overcooked. He offered to take it back to the kitchen and have the chef prepare a fresh one. I accepted the offer, explaining that I expected a thicker steak. Had I known that the steak would be so thin, I would have ordered it cooked to a temperature of medium instead of medium-well. I ordered the second steak cooked to a temperature of medium. (I am a filet mignon fiend, and I have found a wide range of size, thickness, and texture in what I'm served at various restaurants as "Filet mignon.") As expected, the manager was notified, and came over to apologize for the steak. He professed to being a steak-lover, too. I showed him pictures of my favorite 10-oz filet mignon as served at my favorite steak restaurant. His eyes lit up. Later, he came by to check on my second steak, and was dissatisfied with the temperature to which it was cooked. (overcooked again.) He gave me two options: cook a third steak, or have the order removed from my bill. I chose the later. I asked for the dessert menu and ordered cherry cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream and coffee. My server came by to tell me that the manager had taken care of my check. I was surprised, as I only expected the steak to be removed from my bill. I eat out quite often, and I am rarely disappointed. I didn't get to enjoy these steaks, but I did enjoy the experience. It's significant to note that I did not complain about the steaks. The server and the manager acted on my behalf ( and, I suppose, in defense of the restaurant's reputation.) Nevertheless, I was impressed by the high level of concern for the satisfaction of the customer (me), and the graciousness of the staff. Based on their behavior under stress, I would return to this restaurant, and I am willing to try another restaurant in this chain. That was a class act.

1  Thank Ty C

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a regular for me. Everything I have ever ordered was prepared perfectly. Very accommodating to people with food allergies. I love their pork chops and steaks. When in Kingsport, this is where I want to eat.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Good food, good service. One of the best restaurants in this area. Had prime rib, very good. Our friends had strip steak, also very good.

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We've been eating here for years but tonight we had an exceptional server who exuded happiness & that she actually enjoyed her job. It showed in her wonderful & attentive service! She gave us a very generous surprise for my birthday which was really sweet! I think they have a awesome filet & love their honey mustard dressing on their fresh salad that has wonderful toppings. Another great option is the baked shrod, there actually is so many great options.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had read a review in newspaper and had a few people tell us about this restaurant. Decided to go and really enjoyed the meal. Decor is very low key but upscale at the same time. Wait staff was friendly and didn't let us go "dry" during meal. Food was very good with a wide variety of items on the menu. My husband had the Tennessee Chicken which was delicious and I had a sirloin cooked just as I asked. Salad and sides were great. Prices reasonable. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys good food and great atmosphere.