“Not impressed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mason Jar Eatery & Catering Co. - CLOSED

Mason Jar Eatery & Catering Co.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Private Dining, Seating, Takeout
Description: Appalachian hospitality and delicious, southern food made from scratch served daily!
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My work won a free lunch from here so of course we had to call it in u called to place the order and it was a mess from the get go. It was very loud in the background I couldn't hear her and she couldn't hear me and she started getting rude with me bc she couldn't hear which in my opinion isn't right if you are going to take call ins be sure you have a quiet place to do so. She told me it would be 45 mins for my order which I thought was a little long plus I was already on my way there so I decided I would just go in and sit down and wait. I stood upfront for about 5 mins and nobody even asked if I needed help so I just walked back to the bar section and sat down. A super sweet girl came to me right away and I explained my situation and she gave me a to go drink and said I could sit there. About 5 mins later the hostess came and put a menu down in front of me an just walked off. I sat there for about 10 mins when I saw them put a to go order in the window but I didn't even think it was mine bc they told me it would take longer. So I waited a few mins and went to the front to pay and I watched them go grab the order that had been sitting in the window which irritated me bc I know what those heat lamps do to food. I paid for my good and left and when I got back to work to see that my food was soggy and not very good I was mad. Yes it was free but that's not the point. The meat was dry the bread was too soggy the onion rings weren't even edible fries were gross and fried pickles were even worse. I was not pleased at all really I won't be back. Plus the ac must have been broken in there bc it was way too hot.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“Clara Peller calls out from beyond . . . "Where's the Beef?"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

As stated by others, there is a LONG wait for food. I had ordered a 1/3 lb. burger. What I got was a little dried up hocky puck on toasted bread. The onion rings are large and very good, and the ranch fries were pretty good also, but Hardee's has a better flavor and a whole lot more beef. Go for the Hardee's $6 burger and leave the table satisfied.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Kingsport, TN
“Nice local restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Had a cheeseburger, onion rings and coke for lunch on a Saturday. The restaurant was about half full. They didn't have any sweet tea because the urn broke (what Southern restaurant doesn't have sweet tea? don't you have another container?). The cheeseburger came on sliced bread rather than a bun and it was tasty. Onion rings were large and good but needed a little salt. We didn't get any silverware and had to ask twice for it - was brought only one fork the first time. One waiter seemed to be doing the bulk of the work and did a great job. The decor is the same from when it was a bbq restaurant but that is ok. Overall, enjoyed it.

“Ok but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Burger good, fries soft, terriaki chicken sandwich nothing special. Needs more pizzaz for me. Outside eating area nice, but they need to talk to the Paper Plant, who was stinking up downtown the day we were there.

Visited June 2013
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Very good burger, extremely poor wait time (lunch) plus other strikes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

The two of us went to eat here at 11:30. The place wasn't full, but it only lacked a table or two of being full. We ordered two burgers and chili cheese fries and tea. After about 20 minutes we finally got our tea. As soon as it hit my taste buds they all retreated in sheer horror. When the waiter came around to assure us that our order was coming (this was at just after 12 pm) I asked him if it was indeed instant tea. He said yes it was. That's strike two as the long wait was the first. I must also mention that they only have bottled soft drinks so don't be expecting free refills. While we continued to wait, we watched people get up and leave without ever getting their food. I counted 12 people while I was watching. Three times the manager came around to every table to apologize for the wait and suggested that the next time we call in our order or make reservations. That seemed quite silly to me as there was no need for reservations since the place wasn't full and even at that, this is not some 5-star upscale restaurant. The problem as I saw it was that the kitchen is just too small for that many tables. It looked to me to be no larger than a full sized bathroom. The staff stayed busy and everything, I just don't think they have the room to cook so many different orders in such a small place. Our food finally came at almost 1 pm. My burger was a plain cheeseburger topped with fried pickles and onions. I'll have to say that it was a very good burger. Certainly not the best I've eaten but very tasty anyway. Now comes strike three, the chili cheese fries. Now some people will just be satisfied with anything they throw together, like dwightd1(another reviewer of this establishment and my best friend). I'm not one of those people. I believe in getting what i pay for. I did not pay for that creamy nacho cheese that comes in a jar poured over canned chili with soggy fries, but that's what I got. To me that's like putting bumper stickers on a Ferrari. It's just not cool. As it stands, I doubt I'll be giving this place another try unless they upgrade that kitchen and get rid of that awful instant tea. This is the south! There's no instant tea in the south!

• 5 of 5 bubbles