“Nice find!”

The Mustard Seed
Ranked #21 of 254 Restaurants in Kingsport
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Lunch w a good friend...we like to patronize locally-owned restaurants and this one is definitely a hit! We arrived prior to lunch crowd, which is highly recommended as it gets crowded and noisy later on. I had a side salad (homemade poppy seed dressing...yum!) and the tomato bacon pie. The pie is like quiche and absolutely delicious! And, the portions were large...plenty for one. The salad was good w carrots and almonds and the dressing was perfect. Service varies from quick to slower as the rush begins. It appeared as if more servers were needed, esp during lunch rush. The atmosphere is eclectic and comfortable...like you'd want in a local eatery. Location is downtown Kingsport and you can walk to other locally-owned stores. I will definitely return here again!

1  Thank 2bemullins5

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food, service, and atmoshere. Love the tomato pie, TBC sandwich, and potato soup. Have been several times and will continue to patronize this cafe. All the servers are very friendly too.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I will have to say, the Mustard Seed Cafe is hands down, one of the best places I have eaten. The service is always friendly, courteous, and ready to serve. The food has always been fresh and exactly as I ordered. If you can't find enough room to eat dessert after the superb meal, make sure you order the dessert "to go" because you will enjoy it beyond belief. Thank you to all the staff at Mustard Seed for always making my visit to your restaurant a joy.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I recently went to Mustard Seed Cafe with co workers for lunch. It was very busy, which is sometimes a really good sign. I was afraid we wouldn't have time to get back to work but I was wrong. They did not hesitate to pull tables together for us to accommodate our rather large group. After we were seated, our server came to get our drink order. My usual coke turned into a delicious flavored tea after the server pointed out all the favors. She then pointed out the special for the day. We were offered dessert and our cups were never empty. If you are looking for food that is not fast food and is homemade and fresh (not a burger!) go to Mustard Seed Cafe. The quiche is wonderful and I was surprised to see how many men were there! Will be back!!

1  Thank Renee1812
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I used to really love going to the Mustard Seed with my mom, but things have really gone downhill in the past year, and it's kind of sad.
The staff is too small to handle the large crowds that arrive on weekends. I understand they are being stretched far too thin, but they really need to hire more wait staff.
The menu is very limited, especially for those of us who have special dietary needs. They don't really seem to have a grasp of healthy items, or vegetarian or lactose free items. This is really a problem for many of us out there, especially for those of us who visit from out of state. Many people ( and I've heard them) have requested things such as a vegetarian sandwich, or even a vegetarian soup or chili, but it seems to have fallen upon deaf ears. Mistake. You should consider ALL suggestions for your customers or at least be able to customize sandwiches, etc.
They have developed something called a "Veggie Wrap" and it is disappointing to say the least. I got this wrap and asked for fat free Italian dressing. Unfortunately, the waitress brought the wrong dressing and the wrap was soggy and dripping in oil. The second time wasn't the charm, either. The wrap had no cheese, but was filled with tasteless microwave vegetables, wilting the fresh lettuce inside and literally dripping water. I couldn't eat it. Is it too much to ask for some fresh veggies???Really?
The tomato basil soup used to be so very good, but they have watered it down, and it has lost its' taste. Unfortunately, Campbell's soup tastes better.
Please get your act together, Mustard Seed. You were so good, but you just sacrificed flavor for profit. And nobody wins when that happens.
And please dust. The beautiful antiques look neglected with a thick coat of lint.