“Sauce from a Jar?”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Toward the end of a long day traveling my husband and I were looking for vegan food in Kingsport, TN. Doesn't that sound like the intro to some sort of joke? Anyway, Stir-Fry Cafe appeared to fit the bill with several Tofu entrees. Wrong. This was some nasty food and terrible service. I made the mistake of asking for brown rice with my tofu entree. We were practically the only people in the restaurant, but it took about 45 minutes for the entree to arrive. If we hadn't been so tired we would have left and searched elsewhere. The "brown rice" was totally inedible, like a big glob of starch. I hadn't eaten all day, was super hungry, but still could not eat this slop. The tofu was drowning in some sort of sauce that tasted like it came straight from a jar. Now that I have seen from another reviewer that the broth was probably chicken-based, I am really grossed out.

1  Thank Susan B
There are newer reviews for Stir Fry Cafe

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Stir Fry is a locally owned chain, but they all seem to be run independently. There are very few restaurants in Kingsport that have their own atmosphere. If you're sick of mega-chain restaurants, Stir Fry is a great change-up.

As you enter, there is a huge bar area with a fully stocked bar and experienced servers. Sometimes there's live music.

The dining area is funky-classic, nothing too fancy but it's very comfortable with booths and tables.

Don't miss the firecracker shrimp appetizer. Sushi is always very well done. Recently they started buying their edamame already shelled which takes the fun out of it and is kind of gross when you have 4 people digging into it.

StirFry even has an "American" bistro-style menu for people who don't want Asian food at the moment. The chicken salad is fantastic and the kobe-beef burgers are great too.

1  Thank LobstaJohnson
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I didn't find anything with complex or depth of flavors. Another rest that tries to be clever with hot oil and precious little else.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

I went to lunch at the Kingsport location today and asked my server about vegan options. He mentioned that some of the items in the "Vegetarian" menu section (including the Szechuan Tofu) are prepared with chicken broth!

This, of course, means that those items aren't just not vegan, they are also NOT VEGETARIAN.

False advertising much? I'll be skipping Stir Fry Cafe in the future.

3  Thank Joe W
Reviewed October 4, 2011

after cruising the main strip full of big chain restaurants, I wanted a local place so we found downtown historic Kingsport. definitely worth seeking out. a cute main street with a good pedestrian feel. saw the stir fry cafe on a saturday night and it looked like the place to go. nice crowd, good bar scene with tables off in a quiet side room. great service and good food. I would definitely go back if I ever get to that neck of the woods.

1  Thank louise j

Been to Stir Fry Cafe? Share your experiences!