“the outside of this place is adorable”
Review of Purple Cow

Purple Cow
Ranked #27 of 252 Restaurants in Kingsport
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 24, 2014

we jus ordered our food from a huge menu and waited for someone to bring out our food just like the old carhop food is very inexpensive

Reviewed July 22, 2014

A line out into the street is the telltale sign of a fabulous drive-thru and Purple Cow does not disappoint. The PB-banana milkshake is a MUST for me every time we are in town!

1  Thank arcarter
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My sister, Dad and myself drove from Oklahoma to the races in Bristol and had to stop at this place. The staff are very nice and since we were able to look at the menu on FB we were able to decide fairly quickly what we wanted. So after the Hawaiian, Fried Bologna sandwich, and a Philly Cheese steak we all agreed that the food was very good. Would definitely go back to try more!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I absolutely love the Purple Cow. I'm still amazed after all these years how they can get so many items out of that small building. The options are endless. If your appetite is big enough try the Intimidator. A truly monstrous burger that once you eat it all,you may never be the same.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I was skeptical at first--who wouldn't be. The cow really is enough to turn anyone off; and if memory serves, there is some sort of hot-dog-like sculpture welcoming you in as well. I don't know. I can't be held responsible for what you see at the Purple Cow; I go there for the food.

I don't even know how to start to tell you about this place. First of all, the menu is extensive--no, scratch that: it's exhaustive. You can't possibly read it all in the time it takes you to drive your car into the line and up to the order window. I think you can look at it online, and I would definitely recommend that you do because this little joint has everything. They have seafood, pasta, burgers, Nathan's hot dogs, Cheesecake Factory cheesecake, soft serve ice cream, every kind of sandwich you can imagine, a milkshake for virtually every day of the year. And the thing is--it's good. And they cook it when you order it. And you only have to wait a few minutes to get it. And the price is incredibly reasonable for the quality and portions.

I'll tell you what my favorite is so far--and I have to admit it will be almost impossible for anything else to usurp my love for this item--it's called the Pittsburgh. You might have heard of it. The story is that truck drivers needed to be able to eat and drive, so people in a diner in Pittsburgh made up this sandwich with meat and cheese and tomato and lettuce and mayo and cole slaw and french fries and pickles and I don't know what else. Theoretically, the truck drivers could drive with one hand and hold their dinner in the other. Great idea, I guess.

The incarnation of this beast at the Purple Cow is nothing you can actually hold in one hand--unless you are a Sasquatch. It has corned beef, I think, or pastrami--but I don't get that on it because I'm a vegetarian (did I mention they don't mind special orders? cause they don't). Mine comes with melted cheese and all the stuff I wrote about earlier, and it takes me forever to eat it. Even so, as full as I am when I finish, I'm still wishing for one more bite. It is just that good.

I'm the sort of person who finds what she loves and sticks with it. So as long as I have enough of an appetite to consume one of these monsters or someone to share it with, this menu item always calls loudly to me: "Me! Pick me!" And I always oblige.

But my friends are more adventurous sorts, and they tell me they like everything at Purple Cow--the burgers, the hot dogs, the milk shakes, the ice cream. I haven't heard a single negative thing said about the food or the service.

And, as an aside, I really would like to know how they manage to make magic out of the tiny space of a kitchen they have. They turn out literally hundreds of items, and they do it out of a space that is not much bigger than the kitchen area in a good-sized camper. Their system is completely seamless, and I wonder at its efficiency and the talent of the people collected in that tiny building every time I go.

A couple of things to know: if you want to sit down and eat--well, your options are limited. There are a few old wooden picnic tables to the side of the place, but they don't look that inviting. And as I said, there are only a few. It isn't easy to snag one. Secondly, there isn't a lot of parking space either. So although this reminds you of a sort of old-time drive-in, you really can't expect to get your food and eat it in the parking lot. That would require a bit of manuevering to get back toward the lot from the pick-up window. I am not saying it can't be done--just that it isn't easy. And finally, if it's lunch time or dinner time, expect to wait. I have seen cars lined up to the street and then down it more times than I can count. And this is significant because the place is located on a very busy thorough-fare in this city.

OK, I lied--one more thing, a bit of advice really, even though you didn't ask for it. Don't eat before you go--don't even nosh. Go hungry. Take your food to some perfect eating place. Unwrap or open the box, and find your bliss.

4  Thank Diane S